TSM 5.1.5 on Linux/Intel

dickhaus

Newcomer
Reaction score
Website
www.xu.edu
We are about to purchase a TSM license to backup about 70 servers, a mix of

AIX, Solaris, W2K, Linux and Netware.

We need to decide between Linux/Intel or AIX/p630 for the TSM server.

I realize the Linux option is new with 5.1.5, but if any of you have experience

with it, would like to hear your experiences and opinions.

TIA

I am currently testing the 5.1.5/5.1.6 releases on a Linux server. 3.06GHz single P4 running Redhat 7.2 with a 2.4.9-? kernel (the one that they specify). I've recompiled the kernel using gcc 2.95.3 and it runs much better. I am having some issues with the SCSI driver (Adaptec 29160 talking to Sony DDS4 4mm DAT) but it is relatively stable now. The lure of Linux is the cheap, fast hardware. The problem is that this is the first release so it's going to have growing pains.

My experience with TSM/ADSM/WDSF/ESMS goes back to the original genesis of the product while at LSI Logic. This was on a few joint study projects with IBM and quite a few requirements that were met and are in the product today. So, I have a special place in my heart for this product, even though the new Linux server releases are giving me small fits now and then.

My advice would be to evaluate the product in your environment and strongly test the SCSI drivers. Make sure that you are running the precise kernel and distro that they specify (they give you some choices, none of them very good) and good luck.

Mitch Sako

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>We are about to purchase a TSM license to backup about 70 servers, a mix of

AIX, Solaris, W2K, Linux and Netware.

We need to decide between Linux/Intel or AIX/p630 for the TSM server.

I realize the Linux option is new with 5.1.5, but if any of you have experience

with it, would like to hear your experiences and opinions.

TIA

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Back