trouble migrating to new directories for FILE DEVICE DEVCLASS

RRhodes

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello,

We're purchased a new storage system for our FILE DEVCLASS backups, and I'm having some problems figuring how to migrate to the new storage.

tsm v7.1.5 on AIX 7.1.0.0

I have a file device pool on DataDomain/NFS storage.
stgpool: BACKUP-PRI-DD BACKUP-PRI-DD DEVCLASS 150,291 G 57.7 57.7 90 70
devclass: BACKUP-PRI-DD Sequential 1 FILE DRIVE 30,720.0 100
devclass_dirs: /DD/backup-pri-dd-1,/DD/backup-pri-dd-2,/DD/backup-pri-dd-3,/DD/backup-pri-dd-4 (On DataDomain via NFS)

/DD/backup-pri-dd-1 (DataDomain storage via NFS)
/DD/backup-pri-dd-2 (DataDomain storage via NFS)
/DD/backup-pri-dd-3 (DataDomain storage via NFS)
/DD/backup-pri-dd-4 (DataDomain storage via NFS)

We purchased a new storage system to migrate these backups to.
I setup new filesystems on the new storage system and exported them to the AIX, mounted via NFS.
So I have these OLD AND NEW filesystems for this stgpool/devclass

/DD/backup-pri-dd-1 (DataDomain storage via NFS)
/DD/backup-pri-dd-2 (DataDomain storage via NFS)
/DD/backup-pri-dd-3 (DataDomain storage via NFS)
/DD/backup-pri-dd-4 (DataDomain storage via NFS)

/DD/backup-pri-dd-5 (Infinidat storage via NFS)
/DD/backup-pri-dd-6 (Infinidat storage via NFS)
/DD/backup-pri-dd-7 (Infinidat storage via NFS)
/DD/backup-pri-dd-8 (Infinidat storage via NFS)

I then CHANGED THE DEVCLASS TO JUST THE NEW DIRS
update devclass backup-pri-dd directory="/DD/backup-pri-dd-5,/DD/backup-pri-dd-6,/DD/backup-pri-dd-7,/DD/backup-pri-dd-8"

I expected:
1) Able to still access existing file vols in the /DD/backup-pri-dd-[1-4] dirs (vols have the full path to the file vols)
2) New scratch volumes are would ONLY COME OUT OF THE /DD/backup-pri-dd-[5-8] filesystems defined in the DEVCLASS, and are on the new storage.

What is happening:
1) Yes, I can access all the old volumes just fine. I've run AUDIT and MOVE_DATA on them.
2) BUT, NEW scratch volumes are STILL CREATED IN THE OLD FILESYSTEMS /DD/backup-pri-dd-[1-4] dirs.

Even thought the devclass says to use dirs /DD/backup-pri-dd-[5-8], it's as if TSM is ignoring the devclass directory list.
I RESTARTED the TSM server, but that didn't change anything. I thought that would force TSM to use the devclass directory list.

NOTE: I tested this procedure in a small scale and it worked just fine. All new scratch volumes were created in the new filesystems. I then ran move_data cmds on all old vols to migrate the backups to the new storage system. BUT IT'S NOT DOING THIS ON THIS MUCH BIGGER SYSTEM.

Q) How do I get TSM to create scratch vols on the new dirs? I see no way to mark a FILE DEVCLASS DIRECTORY as read/only.

Thanks!

Rick

Everything you show appears to be correct. I've done such device class magic before with roughly same sized pool, updated devc to only include new paths, and left the old ones hanging until such time move data finished. These were local filesystems and not nfs however.

Silly to ask, but going to ask, you verified q devc show's only your new directories? Anything in actlog that gives clues? Especially after you ran the update devc?

Sadly last time I had to play with the device classes like that was a back in 2016 on 7.1.6. I did take a quick view over the apars (https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/server-apars-fixed-ibm-spectrum-protect-version-71-fix-pack-levels) for your version but I'm not seeing anything standout that would cause such behavior.

Sorry, not much help but I just haven't seen that behavior.

old volumes are there for read and the new updated directories should be used...
look at the device configuration file after a data base backup.
Cover all the grounds - q stg f=d , q dev f=d, ensure the paths on the new location are ok.

Back