To Move data from Clarion Disk Library (VTL) volumes to LTo-4 Tape media

radhar

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

We have a Clarion Disk Library (VTL) to store the data. Since we have less number of Scratch tapes in the VTL, we are planning to move the data from CDL to tape media so that we can have few Scratch tapes in the VTL.

Currently, we have very less percentage of data utilized in the defined VTL storage pool (i.e. less than 20%). Hence we are not able to perform the Migration process.

Could you please advice on the various ways of performing a move data from VTL to tape media?

Thanks.

I'm not sure what you are saying in the second statement; are you saying the CDL storage pool is at 20% but you are out of scratches? If so, you have the scratch count way to high: change it so it reflects the real world.

What data do you want to move? You can move specific volumes with the MOVE DATA command, or update the CDL stg pool so the next pool points to the tape library and set migdelay so that only the oldest data is moved.

Hi Daniel,

We have 5 - 6 storage pool defined for VTL and none of these VTL have crossed 20% each. Hence we are not able to perform the migration on these storage pool. Hope i am clear now, kindly let me know if u require more inputs.

I was planning to perform move data on the VTL media, but not sure about the exact syntax and process to move to Tape Media.

We have already configured the CDL STG pool with next point as Tape media, as i have updated above we dont have any STG which is more than 20% to perform this action.

Could you please some assistance on this regard?

Sure you can. HELP MIGR STGP - look at the LOWMIG parm. Also see HELP MOVE DATA for that syntax.

Why are you stuck up on not migrating data from stgpools utilised under 20%? If you want to migrate - migrate. Make TSM do what you want - it can.

It also seems strange that you would run out of scratch volumes on a VTL. I'm not up on Clarion, but if you are using the default setting for the storage pool and you don't set up collocation groups, then you will create a new volume for every node. If you have a lot of nodes, that's a lot of volumes. Set collocation=no on the storage pool then in TSM do "move data vol_name" with no destination stgpool. This will move data back to new volumes within the storage pool, but uncollocated, freeing up volumes.

Back