There Exists a "tool" or a "formula" to make Capacity Planning automatized?

alexmarco

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys and ladies..

I m looking for a tool , or formula with help me for make a capacity planning of my TSM Servers.

I m thinking in one thing like this:

Day 01.

Verify how much data has backep up in my tsm server of tests, with this command:

select cast(float(sum(bytes))/1024/1024/1024 as decimal(14,2)) as TGBU from summary where (end_time between '2007-11-08 08:00:57' and '2007-11-09 08:00:56') and activity='BACKUP'

This command returns how much GB/DAY has backep up:

TSM SERVER 01:

Operation Results

TGBU
----------------

TSM SERVER 02:

Operation Results

TGBU
----------------

Total = 650 GB/day of backep up data.

Other thing:

Using another select command, i can discover how much scracth tapes i have in my library:

select library_name, count(*) as volumes, status from libvolumes group by library_name,status

LIBRARY_NAME VOLUMES STATUS
------------------ ----------- ----------
TSM_LIB01 953 Private
TSM_LIB01 54 Scratch (TSM Server 01)
TSM_LIB02 1012 Private
TSM_LIB02 107 Scratch (TSM Server 02)

The TSM SERVER 02 is the library manager of my backup network.

So... with this two commands i discover:

In one day my TSM s backep up 650 GB of data, that is my yesterday status of tapes:

LIBRARY_NAME VOLUMES STATUS
------------------ ----------- ----------
TSM_LIB01 953 Private
TSM_LIB01 57 Scratch (TSM Server 01)
TSM_LIB02 1012 Private
TSM_LIB02 108 Scratch (TSM Server 02)

Then: in one day, 4 scratch LTO 01 cartridges has used during the backup.

Now, my questions are:

How i can discover the amount of cartridges used in a month period?

There is a tool, or formula (excel, for example) to make this capacity planning?

The expiration schedule is working properly.

Anyone help me?

Last edited:
I would begin by pointing out that planning refers to the future. There are methods to plan capacity but what you are looking for is capacity reporting. You've actually started answering your own question. You have the base queries developed so what you need to do now is put those queries into Excel and run the queries once a month to capture the data. You can bring TSM data into Excel using the TSM ODBC interface.
If you have the Tivoli Monitoring product you can have it do the queries and report on the data. http://catalog.lotus.com/topal?NavCode=1TW10TM1O

I use a combination of Perl, MySQL, and Excel. I perl script runs every day, gathering information like you want and putting it into SQL tables. (Access is brain dead, and MS-SQL ain't much better.) Weekly scripts run summerizing the daily statistics for reporting in Excel. If you have Crystal Reports, so much better. If you know Perl and SQL, it's not a major job. If you know statistics better than I do, you could even add some basic trending.

I use servergraph, and it is a great tool for reporting and charting. It also does a lot of managment. I have customized our install to handle DRM tapes for each of our three datacenters. It seems a little expensive at first, however, once you get it in and start realizing all the things you've been missing its worth it.

We found enough issues to save us about 40K in the first 6 months we used it. Now, thanks to the reports I've been able to quantify our need for new TSM servers at two of the three sites.

Because its HTML based its easy to configure, build your own reports, or customize some parts of the management inteface.

Anyway, I'm not sure if the previous guy works for them or not, but I don't, and I'd recommend them.

I have used many hours on creating many select scripts, until I found TSM MANAGER, that is simply the best tool if you use TSM, it has Capacity Planning, on-line edit of scripts, history, Tape check in/out, and many other usefull stuff.

My advice is to try the demo!!! It is simply the best...

/Peter Hover

Servergraph is OK, I dont care for its interface but I will say it is VERY customizable when it comes to it working with a ticketing or alerting processes. There are some issues with its DB limit too that have caused us grief. There are a number of tools that do capacity planning, but you can easily do it yourself with the right information.

Back