TDP vmware LAN free without Storage agent

Silapen

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to setup LANfree without installing Storage agent?
If TSM has the SAN conectivity with Vmware datastores, and the TDP for Vmware is installed on TSM, is it possible to do LANfree backups of vm's on the datastores?
Or do we need to have Storage Agent for LANfree? Has anyone installed Storage agent and TSM on same server? I'm asking this because I want to avoid having aditional backup proxy server.

No Storage Agent, No LAN Free. Period.

No, install Storage agent on the node, or on this case (since it is VM) on a proxy node, and not on TSM server. Installing on the TSM server defeats the purpose.

No Storage Agent, No LAN Free. Period.

No, install Storage agent on the node, or on this case (since it is VM) on a proxy node, and not on TSM server. Installing on the TSM server defeats the purpose.

Hmm unless there's something I don't understand but I'm pretty sure we're doing Lan-free backup using only TSM server on Windows.

Current setup is:

TSM 6.3.4 on Windows 2008r2
BA client with vmware option installed on same box
TSM server has a fiber card and see the vmware LUN
Lan free option is checked in Ba client configuration.
I'm 100% sure we don't have any storage agent configured for this TSM server.
Backup are sent to IBM TS3200 library also connected with fiber.

Hmm unless there's something I don't understand but I'm pretty sure we're doing Lan-free backup using only TSM server on Windows.

Current setup is:

TSM 6.3.4 on Windows 2008r2
BA client with vmware option installed on same box
TSM server has a fiber card and see the vmware LUN
Lan free option is checked in Ba client configuration.
I'm 100% sure we don't have any storage agent configured for this TSM server.
Backup are sent to IBM TS3200 library also connected with fiber.

Are the tape drives and SAN zoned together? Storage agent loaded on the proxy?

I stand corrected, I looked at our 2 datacenter and the production datacenter using storageagent have the option: ENABLELANFREE YES which my windows box dsm.opt doesn't.
What is the difference between lan-free and VMVSTORTRANSPORT "SAN" ?

I stand corrected, I looked at our 2 datacenter and the production datacenter using storageagent have the option: ENABLELANFREE YES which my windows box dsm.opt doesn't.
What is the difference between lan-free and VMVSTORTRANSPORT "SAN" ?

See the explanation here for VMVSTORTRANSPORT.

LAN Free, when configured properly, uses the direct SAN-to-Tape path for backup and restores. As quoted from the link above "The transport order that you specify determines how the VMware API for Data Protection (VADP) accesses virtual disk data, but it does not influence the data path that is used between the Tivoli® Storage Manager client and the Tivoli Storage Manager server."

Last edited:
Back