TDP schedule failing

Jpro409

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
We are seeing the following errors in the DSMERROR & DSMSCHED log files. This is a TDP backup for Exchange 2003. I googled the error code (Return code = 402) we are getting and it stated the following:

There is no compression in the dsm.opt file. The compression was forced by the Server Add the following in the dsm.opt in order to force the compression:
compressalways yes

We don't use compression on any other dsm.Opt files for Exchange and the backups run fine each night.

-------------------------------------
DSMERROR LOG
02/14/2008 01:00:04 ANS1909E The scheduled command failed.
02/14/2008 01:00:04 ANS1512E Scheduled event 'NIGHTLY_01-00' failed. Return code = 402.

DSMSCHED.LOG

Executing scheduled command now.
02/14/2008 01:00:02
Executing Operating System command or script:
C:\TSM_EXC_Backup.vbs
02/14/2008 01:00:04 Finished command. Return code is: 402
02/14/2008 01:00:04 ANS1909E The scheduled command failed.
02/14/2008 01:00:04 ANS1512E Scheduled event 'NIGHTLY_01-00' failed. Return code = 402.
02/14/2008 01:00:04 Sending results for scheduled event 'NIGHTLY_01-00'.
02/14/2008 01:00:05 Results sent to server for scheduled event 'NIGHTLY_01-00'

command executed in 01:00:02, error code returns in 01:00:04
the problem looks like .vbs it not executed successfully... send us your .vbs

I was getting the same error but different return cod the steps below would help you to find what exactly is the problem it helped me..

this is the link
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21284034

To determine the real cause of this failure, the TSM Client Scheduler needs to be run in the foreground, instead of as a service. This will allow the errors encountered when the script is run to be fully reported. To run the scheduler in the foreground do the following:

1. Open Windows command prompt and change to the TSM Client install directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient)
2. Run 'dsmcutil list' to get a list of all TSM services installed.
3. Run 'dsmcutil query /name:"TSM Scheduler"' replacing "TSM Scheduler" with the name of the scheduler service that is failing, exactly as seen in the output of step 2.
4. Make note of the value for the "Options file" field.
5. On the TSM Server, update the failing schedule with STARTTIME=NOW or create a test schedule and associate this node to it.
6. Then on the client machine, run 'dsmc sched -optfile=<path and file from step 4>' to start the scheduler in the foreground (e.g. dsmc sched -optfile="C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\domino\dsm.opt")

These steps should allow the scheduler to run in the foreground as the correct node, and pickup the newly updated/created schedule. If the schedule completes successfully at this point, then the problem is most likely a permissions issue, and the scheduler service should be changed to run as the currently logged in user.

If there is a different cause to the problem, some operating system error like the following should be seen:
Executing Operating System command or script:
C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\domino\dominc.cmd
'c:\program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.'
Finished command. Return code is: 1

Just an FYI.

We use the same .vbs script for all the servers regardless if it a TDP backup for Exchange or a BA Client backup. We never had an issue with the .vbs script. To my knowledge no one had edited the .vbs script at this time. I verify the script and it is the same on all other servers. Very interesting info from sathishdas.

yes good recommendation from sathishdas,
manually execute this vbs on command line and watch what's happening on there...

Ran the .vbs in command prompt and nothing happens. Interesting

Last edited:
it's normal,
I try to tell command executed in 01:00:02, error code returns in 01:00:04, this means your command (vbs) not works...

Fix it!!

The node's schedule was pointing to another node in the cluster. Now the Node is pointing to it own script. Restarted the TSM scheduler and now the node is ready to run it schedule back up per the DSMSCHED log. Thanks for helping me out.

Back