TDP install error on SQL Server

I think this is above my ability to fix. Our TSM Admin claims that there are still firewall issues and that I am spinning my wheels.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate the effort.

I think this is above my ability to fix. Our TSM Admin claims that there are still firewall issues and that I am spinning my wheels.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate the effort.

Firewall issues??

Then why is the node communicating with the TSM server? If the node is not communicating with the TSM server, then it MAYBE a firewall issue.

I truly believe your issue is on the TDP configuration. As I said, look at the error logs.

My TSM Admin says that TDP needs to communicate both ways (from SQL to TSM and from TSM to SQL) and he says something is blocking. I agree with you though. The logs don't tell me much as they pretty much just echo the error I get at the command line. Not very helpful.

Examples are
tdpsql.log:
10/14/2015 11:28:58 Request : QUERY SQL
10/14/2015 11:28:58 -------------------------------------------------------------------------
10/14/2015 11:28:59 ANS1353E (RC53) Session rejected: Unknown or incorrect user ID entered

dsierror.log (in tdpsql directory):
10/14/2015 11:27:40 ANS1353E Session rejected: Unknown or incorrect user ID entered
10/14/2015 11:28:59 ANS1353E Session rejected: Unknown or incorrect user ID entered

dsmerror.log (in baclient directory)
10/14/2015 12:32:35 ANS1977E Dsmcad schedule invocation was unsuccessful. This command will be tried again in 10 minutes.
10/14/2015 12:40:17 ANS0361I DIAG: Error starting schedule service: CadSchedName registry value is empty
10/14/2015 12:40:17 ANS1977E Dsmcad schedule invocation was unsuccessful. This command will be tried again in 10 minutes.
10/14/2015 12:42:35 ANS0361I DIAG: Error starting schedule service: CadSchedName registry value is empty
10/14/2015 12:42:35 ANS1977E Dsmcad schedule invocation was unsuccessful. This command will be tried again in 10 minutes.

Looking at your error logs, TSM is complaining about:

ANS1353E Session rejected: Unknown or incorrect user ID entered

Solve this first as this is not a firewall issue.

I have 2 directories where it looks like the configuration files are: tsm\baclient and tsm\tsm\tdpsql. It looks like tsm\baclient is only concerned with TSM. I believe I have that working as I can start the "Backup Archive GUI" without issue.

That leaves tsm\tsm\tdpsql for TDP. This makes total sense. But I'm stumped as to how to configure this. In which file is the user id configured? Should it be sql01dev, sql01dev.ode.state.oh.us, sql01dev_sql or sql01dev_sql.ode.state.oh.us? I'm not expecting you to answer, but it is what I'm facing. The TSM admins I'm working with are not very experienced and are convinced the problems lie in something blocking communications from the TSM server to the SQL Server.

Edit to add: I'm not very experienced with it either (obviously)

If you look at my previous post, I recommended that you keep the node names simple:

sql01dev and sql01dev_sql

The BA client looks at the dsm.opt file from ...\baclient\dsm.opt and as nodename=userid=sql01dev. This means that ..\baclient\dsm.opt has to have an input of "nodename sql01dev"

The TDP for SQL looks at the dsm.opt from ..\tdpsql\dsm.opt and nodename=userid=sql01dev_sql.
This means that ..\tdpsql\dsm.opt has to have an input of "nodename sql01dev_sql"

From these nodename=userid relationship, TSM will do its authentication. Note that when your TSM Admin registers sql01dev and sql01dev_sql, they should use something like:

'register node sql01dev sql01dev do=wintel passexp=0 userid=none ...'
'register node sql01dev_sql sql01dev_sql do=sql passexp=0 userid=none ...'

the entries "sql01dev sql01dev" are nodename and password, respectively. With userid=none, TSM will use the nodename as user ID.

That makes sense. I configured the files. When I run from the command prompt "tdpsqlc" it appears to work. Here is output from a backup of our DBA_DB database:

F:\Program Files\tivoli\tsm\tsm\TDPSql>tdpsqlc back DBA_DB file=*

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for Databases:
Data Protection for Microsoft SQL Server
Version 7, Release 1, Level 2.0
(C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1997, 2015. All rights reserved.

Connecting to SQL Server, please wait...

Starting SQL database backup...

Connecting to TSM Server as node 'SQL01DEV_SQL.ODE.STATE.OH.US'...
Using backup node 'SQL01DEV_SQL.ODE.STATE.OH.US'...

Beginning file backup for database DBA_DB, 1 of 1.
Full: 0 Read: 3233408 Written: 3233408 Rate: 1,048.35 Kb/Sec
Database Object Name: 20151014153140\00002230

Backup of DBA_DB completed successfully.

Total SQL backups selected: 1
Total SQL backups attempted: 1
Total SQL backups completed: 1
Total SQL backups excluded: 0
Total SQL backups deduplicated: 0

Throughput rate: 1,044.53 Kb/Sec
Total bytes inspected: 3,233,408
Total bytes transferred: 3,233,408
Total LanFree bytes transferred: 0
Total bytes before deduplication: 0
Total bytes after deduplication: 0
Data compressed by: 0%
Deduplication reduction: 0.00%
Total data reduction ratio: 0.00%
Elapsed processing time: 3.02 Secs

The operation completed successfully. (rc = 0)

But when I try from the GUI, it doesn't work.

Failed - Error: RC: 418
ANS1033E (RC-53) An invalid TCP/IP address was specified.
At Backup-DpSqlComponent -Private DBA_DB -ConfigFile "F:\Program Files\Tivoli\tsm\tsm\TDPSql\tdpsql.cfg" -TsmOptFile "F:\Program Files\Tivoli\tsm\tsm\TDPSql\dsm.opt" -FULL -BackupDestination TSM -BackupMethod VSS -SQLSERVer "SQL01DEV" -SQLAUTHentication INTegrated
InvalidResult: (Capability.Impl....Sql.SqlContext:SqlContext) [Backup-DpSqlComponent], Exception
418,IBM.Tivoli.TSM.Cmdlets.SQL.BackupDpSqlComponent

I have failed to mention one thing that may be critical: We have 1 default and 1 named instance of SQL Server on SQL01DEV. They both show up in the "Protect and Recover Data" part of the GUI.

Contents of tdpsql.cfg:

LOCALDSMAgentnode sql01dev_sql.ode.state.oh.us
BACKUPMETHod vss
LASTPRUNEDate 10/14/2015 09:01:50
FROMSQLserver sql01dev
DATEformat 1
LANGuage ENU
NUMBERformat 1
TIMEformat 1
SQLSERVer SQL01DEV

The "FROMSQLserver" and "SQLSERVer" are confusing.

what is the correct server name as entered on the TSM server?

Is it sql01dev.ode.state.oh.us or just sql01dev

The FROMSQLserver and SQLSERVer must have the same entries, like:
Code:
FROMSQLserver    sql01dev
SQLSERVer    sql01dev
But should tally with what is registered on the TSM server.

The way it was explained to me and the way it is in Oracle, the TSM node is sql01dev and the TDP node is sql01dev_sql

Just got off the phone with our TSM Admin. He says it is the VSS piece that is not working. The command line backup I successfully used is legacy.

Yes, I agree. I told him that 2 weeks ago but he insists that it is correct.

Ask the TSM admin to run 'q proxynode' to see if there truly is proxy granted between the BA and TDP nodes.

results of q proxynode:

Target Node Agent Node
-------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------
SQL01DEV_SQL.ODE.STATE.OH.US SQL01DEV.ODE.STATE.OH.US

How about the reverse?

Code:
Target Node Agent Node
-------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------
SQL01DEV.ODE.STATE.OH.US SQL01DEV_SQL.ODE.STATE.OH.US

His response:

No - The Sql01dev is the proxy agent for the Sql01dev_Sql target node only

Enter the relationship as I have posted and be surprised!

And ask him if the VSS backup of the node is configured properly

So just so I understand, sql01dev.ode.state.oh.us needs to be the target node of agent node sql01dev_sql.ode.state.oh.us?

Back