• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

• Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

TDP for VE and Vmware with Photon Os appliance

okriss

ADSM.ORG Member
Hello,

I would like to ask some help!

I have ran into a vmware upgrade, where the new vmware 6.7 will work Photon Os Appliance, what is not vCenter...
Can the TDP for VE work with Photon? Do i have any chance to make vm backups with it?
I havent heard about it before....and i did not find any suggestion.

Thank you for you help!

RecoveryOne

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Hi, are you referring to backing up the vCenter Server Appliance?

Or some other virtual machine based on the Photon OS?

I do not have any Photon OS vm's running other than the vcsa (to my knowledge). I would assume since the POS is a stripped down Linux box (https://vmware.github.io/photon/), the ability to snapshot it with the VMWare tools/vadp api calls works like any other vm with any other 3rd party backup software.

Now, if you are talking about the vcsa, there's this KB that talks about backing up the database directly: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2091961

Also, this for the vcsa with 3rd party backups: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-v...UID-1C73996F-8312-4BBD-A16C-B2C8FC3C0D31.html

Also, since the POS is open source, you can go and grab the latest revision and try it out!

okriss

ADSM.ORG Member
Hi, are you referring to backing up the vCenter Server Appliance?

Or some other virtual machine based on the Photon OS?
Hello,

I was talking about backing up vm's...Can the TSM work with Photon?
I tried to find the answers and it will work... The TSM will sign in to Photon, but the vm's snapshot will be obatained from the hosts and in this case, the photon doesnt matter.
We use vCenter and it will be changed to Photon. I wasnt sure that the appliance can provide me the same opportunities like the vcenter.
I hope i wont be surprised after the upgrade! :D

Advertise at ADSM.ORG

If you are reading this, so are your potential customer. Advertise at ADSM.ORG right now.

UpCloud high performance VPS at $5/month

Get started with $25 in credits on Cloud Servers. You must use link below to receive the credit. Use the promo to get upto 5 month of FREE Linux VPS.

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 52 61.2%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 10 11.8%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 7 8.2%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cburns