TDP for ORacle Confusion

tsmdumber

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi People,

I have difficulty in understanding tdp for oracle.

I want to know the differnce between backing oracle data with rman catalog enabled and rmcatalog disabled.

By saying disabled I mean it is backedup through Control file methode.

Whats the impact while restore while using both the methods?

Whats the impact of TDPOsynch while using rman catalog/rman control file.

How do I check if TSM is in out of synch if its backed up through control file.?

Whats the impact on restore if the file system name is changed frequentlt? ( File system name has been changed on monthly basis in my setup for starnge reason!!!!) Whast the impact if i use tdposynch

Am new to this setup and trying to find the holes in the setup so that I can close them.

Your help is much appreciated dear TSM doctorates! :)

Regards,
TSMDUMBER

RMAN catalog enabled&RMAN catalog Disabled:

RMAN catalog enabled backup means then its application level backup (level 1 backup or hot backup as per oracle terms).
RMAN catalog disabled backup means then its a raw filesystem backup (lovel 0 or a clod backup)

Impact with RMAN catalog disabled backup:

At the time of restore with the raw data restore, incase of restore failed or filesystem crashed then you cannot retrieve the data(as a application level).

TDPOsynch impact using rman catalog/rman control file:

TSM database, RMAN database, catalog database will be in sync incase the RMAN backup is taken, in rman control file level backup only the TSM database, RMAN database will be in sync.

TDPOSYNC for control file backup:

run TDPOSYNC DB to cross check the backup between all the 3 databases and update the status.

If you use the tdposync there it will refer to the previous filesystem and give an error as it cannot find the old name as its updated to new filesystem name now.

Hope this helps

Do we have any documentaion that explains this in detailed!!!

Am really stuck !!1

Thanks Dear TSM Gurus

Regards,
TSMDUMBER

Sorry i dont have the docs for it.

But dont worry on this confusion that you have.

Things to do from your side.

Install the TDP for oracle and configure the tdpo file and establish the communication by registering the node to the respective policy domain wher you have both onsite storagepools as well as DR storagepools configured.

Register node with backupdelete=yes so that the client manages the data backup retentions and expirations from oracle end (RMAN)

Not to worry about the retentions of the current policy domain that you configured with. Retentions set in RMAN will be taken into account.So confusion or work from TSM admin end in this case.

Regards
Malli Rajan

Oracle will always

The problem I have here is only 2 nodes occupy 40% of teh entire data backed up. (500 TB )

And these 2 servers are oracle servers. and teh Db size is not more than 125 GB oon each server.

I want the DBA's to undersatnd that TSM DB is out of synch with RMAN and hence huge consumption of tapes.

The setup is so screwed people have been changine filespaces ( God knows why)

No rman catalog, The DBA say instead of rman catlaog we use control file ( Which i really dont understand)

I gotta convince them to use tdposynch but Igotta provide concrete evidence!!!

And I need to be convinced myself in the first place!

The situation is very sticky and trying to comeout all clean

Thanks for your help!!

Regards,
TSMDUMBER

1st place check the q n f=d to check the backupdel=yes is given. If no make it to yes and then run the expiration and check the status change.

2ndly. There is a huge data as dackedup using the weekly, montly and yearly backup so there is a possiblity in TSM Server side for huge data as per number of versions are kept in RMAN.

What kind of backup is taken for weekly, monthly and for yearly. Check if all are control file backup (cold backup). Check in last night backup how much data is backedup, oracle admin can able to give the details. Check for a week and you can find if the data is same as the actual size then backup is going fine

Control file backup is the cold backup (level 0 backup) taken. That means that oracle is brought down and the backup is taken for the filesystem.

In this case when they take a RMAN backup.

Backup delete is said to yes

The data backedup is alround 120 Gb every day for each node,

For monthly and yearly archivals separate node names are used.

My concern is ablut the daily node which doesnot seem to expire any data

How do i find if TSM is out of SYNC with rman control file?

Regards,
TSMDUMBER

Your DBA is correct. When not using the catalog server, you are using the control files. Basically what both are doing is keeping track of the location of your backups. The problem with control files is that they are much more limited in the number of backup objects they can reference, so you lose reference to things. So the main worry is not that you are using so many tapes, it's that you cannot restore what you have backed up. Sure, TSM has all the Oracle backups, but Oracle doesn't know they're there. If you have a test lab, try working with the DBAs to restore the database from several months ago...

In reference to your other question, if you are not using a catalog server, then it's safe to say that you are out of sync with TSM. TSM does not manage your RMAN backups; it really only provides a place for RMAN to put backups. Keeping track of backups, expiring, obsoleting, etc., is all managed through RMAN.

Also, whether or not you are using a catalog has no impact on whether you are doing hot or cold backups. Hot backups only means that the database is still running while you perform backups (which is why you need the archive logs). Cold backups are backups of the files while the database is not running and therefore perfectly consistent.

Million thanks Gimlet.

Thanks for throwing some light!!!! Very very useful!

Back