TDP for Exchange vs. Fastback

JerryK

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

in the last weeks i worked with both products and i have the task to decide which one is better.

Now that TDP for Mail 6.1. is ready for tests, both get similar features (e.g. mailbox restore). I can't really decide and don't know which arguments i could use to explain the positive and negative sides (of both).

I would really appreciate it if someone could list some details.

Some things are ofc Block-based backup, content aware snapshots and it seems that fastback is easier to configure.

Thanks in advance, hope my english isn't too bad :rolleyes:

Hi everyone,

in the last weeks i worked with both products and i have the task to decide which one is better.

Now that TDP for Mail 6.1. is ready for tests, both get similar features (e.g. mailbox restore). I can't really decide and don't know which arguments i could use to explain the positive and negative sides (of both).

I would really appreciate it if someone could list some details.

Some things are ofc Block-based backup, content aware snapshots and it seems that fastback is easier to configure.

Thanks in advance, hope my english isn't too bad :rolleyes:

Hi JerryK,

I think that FastBack & TSM products are complimentary, because FastBack its a disk to disk backup & restore product. If you need three monts of data retention period you probably need the FastBack & at least a TSM B/A Client to integrate FastBack Backups to TSM Hierarchy.

Option A: Fastback to make the backups to FastBack Server. TSM BA Client to make the transfer to TSM.

Option B: Use TDP & BA Client to make one backup a day... and FastBack to take incremental forever snapshots every hour or protect exchange server with Continuos Data Protection.

As a apart of the restauration process its much quickly and easy to use of FastBack becasue you dont need to restore the edb files... only virtual mount 1 second to view the edb files in your explorer. The restaturation process its more easy & intuitive with FastBack For Exchange. You dont need to use Ms EXMERGE utility to extract mails or attachments...

Best Regards,
Foozi

Back