TDP Exchange restore,using what volumes? Please help, critical!

SteveAdmin

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi, we have a 3582 tape library, with only 22 slots, so it is necessary to check out highly utilised volumes, in the case, in the Exchange Sequential (Tape) Storage Pool, and then check in a blank as Private, and define it into that pool, in order to get a backup and free up space in this pool. Unfortunatley, the inevitable has happened, and we need to restore a load of exchange servers. It is complaining that it cannot find the data, from the TDP for Exchange Client, which is expected, but it's not letting on which volume needs to be mounted in order to restore the data. Is there a command I can use to determine what volume the node is wanting / what volume the node's data is stored on? Once determined, I presume this is checked in with checking libvol status=private, then define libvol to the exchange tape storage pool? I have tried query content on the volumes outside of the library, but this is a seriously long process, and I'm sure there must be a clever way of doing this!?

Many thanks

you can either query the activity log for the time you tried this restore by

q act

or

start in console mode
which is usually in
c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\baclient\
run
dsmadmc -id=xxxx -password=xxxx -console

and rerun the restore it will tell you what tapes it needs to do the particular restore.

Back