TDP Exchange Compression Option

jharris

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hello all, just a quickie ...

Currently, we're using version 5.5.1.10 of the Exchange Client TDP on quite a few Windows 2003 servers.

Many of these servers are on remote WAN links and hence we turn client compression on.

However, when I search through all of the local client log files and check the activity log entries on the TSM server, both an incremental and full exchange backup does not indicate anywhere whether the data was compressed and what ratio was achieved.

I'm sure older version of the client (maybe when we were on Windows 2000 or even WinNT) showed detailed output in log files (think tdpexc.log) that compression was enabled and even some compression results.

Can anyone else who has client compression turned on, see compression details about their exchange database backups?

PS. Looks like this was asked some time ago with no responses: http://adsm.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8336

Last edited:
I believe it won't log details about client side compression on what you want to see. The only positive way to tell TSM to have compression on the client side is to have the option turned ON on the dsm.opt file:

Compression Yes

Just an FYI.... if you are using client version 5.5.1 and changed the default value to compressalways=no you may have a big problem on your hands. We also compress our remote clients and just recently found that compressed files that grow during compression are not recoverable.... zips, password safe, office 2007 files, smaller jpgs... even various compressed applications files restored with 0 bytes!!! it was not pretty. Check it out:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docvi...on&uid=swg21322625&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en

Well I know this is a long time between posts ...

But for the last 6 months I've been trouble shooting poor performance issues with our exchange backups ...

Turned out once we turned the client compression for the Exchange TDP OFF, we got 5X better backup performance for both WAN and LAN Exchange servers !!!!

So it's staying off now!!

Back