Tapes

Tobyas1

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I have four tapes that when I mark them as scratch, they are moved back to Private with no data wrote on them. I am a noob to TSM so any direction is a good one for me :)

Does anyone have an idea as ot why this might happen?

Here is an error I am seeing for the 5 new tapes I put in.
I/O error reading label for volume A00074L3 in drive DRIVE00 (\\.\Tape0).(PROCESS: 2801)
Scratch volume A00074L3 changed to Private Status to prevent re-access.(PROCESS: 2801)

I have tried to delete the volume but it says it is not defined in a storage pool and tried to relabel it with the overwrite options and it says it is already present.

I am trying ot remove them and then readd the tapes to just rule out bad tapes. Again these are clean tapes without any data wrote to them.

OK remove them from the library and then relabel them. That works best. You can use REMOVE=NO then allow TSM to search for volumes to label. Also check and make sure the volumes are not listed in the volume history file. If they are in the volume history file certain records can keep TSM from using them, although this looks more like a labeling issue.

Thank you Chad,

I am bit of a new person to this, can you help me out with the command on where to use the remove=no?

Are you having the problem with just these four tapes? If you are do a:

q vol access=reado - maybe these tapes have been put into a read only state.

I had this problem during some weird stuff going on with tapes. Here's a SELECT to show you all of these so you don't have to scan the actlog for the entries.

select volume_name,status,last_use from libvolumes where volume_name not in (select volume_name from volumes) and status='Private'

It is also possible, as cwilloug said, that these are in a Read-Only state for some reason. Physically check the tapes themselves to be sure the write-lock (or whatever its called) isn't closed on them.

I will check the tapes when I get to my Colocation this afternoon.

Also I ran the query that cwilloug said and i got this.. .

No match found using this criteria.

When I run GregE's query this is what I get.

VOLUME_NAME STATUS LAST_USE
------------------ ---------- ----------
A00073L3 Private
A00074L3 Private
A00075L3 Private
A00076L3 Private
A00077L3 Private

Back