Tapes not being returned

TCS

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Haven't done the DRM course but picked up the basic's of what to do.

I ejected some DRM tapes at the start of the month. These have yet to come back to the 'vaultretrieve' status so I can re use them. A few other tapes I've ejected since have been returned.

What dictates the time they stay in the vault? Is there any way of forcing them into the vaultretrieve status?

Cheers

Ken

If you look at the tapes (q vol) you will see they still contain data (or it is your only DB Backup tape) As long as the tape contains data, it will remain offsite. The "correct" way for a tape to enter the vaultr status is for all the data on the tape to expire OR the tape is reclaimated. As always, you can force a tape to be recalled by moving all the data from it to another tape (thus making it empty - manual reclamation) or by deleting the tape (with discard=yes) which will force TSM to make a new copy of that data from the primary pool.

I would verify your reclamation thresholds on the copypool. More than likely, they are set too high for the tapes to be reclaimed and returned.

-Aaron

Thanks for responding Aaron.

Checked out the reclaimation threshold and they were too high. Set it to a lower percentage and saw reclaimation kick off in the console.

Back