Tapes in library that have been misplaced

djr1111

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a bit of a problem. Due to some other TSM issues that have been rectified, there are about 70 tapes in our library that never got put back in as scratch after they were return from offsite. So now I'm wondering how can figure out where those tapes are and then check them in as scratch. I do not know the tape numbers since they were returned in a 3 week time frame that I was out of work and now I can not find anyone who can find any recorded reference of the tape numbers

thank you for the help

From the library's web interface, do a query of the tapes that are in the library. From TSM, do a 'q libvol'. Compare the list generated by the two process.

The problem with that is the library holds thousands of tapes. looks like I am going to be busy for a while.

thanks for the reply.

I personally use notepad++ for that kind of situation.
Paste one list in a document, the second list in another document, then do a "compare" on these two files (assuming you installed the compare plug-in). You will then have an highlighted list of the difference between the two list, which correspond I presume, to your missing scratch tapes.

Are your tapes seen in TSM or are they just in the library but not checked in ?

In the first case, just check them in as private with search=yes and then update them as scratch (you can safely put all of the tapes in the library to scratch status, TSM will refuse to put a tape as scratch if it contains any data)

Great sql, I found some tapes I did not know I was missing ;)

Thank you Mickey and the original poster as well.

I think part of the problem I am having is because of a specific timeframe where we had a mini meltdown. Everything is back to a healthy state, but I have this issue as a result of the mini meltdown. I believe in addition to them not being checked in, they also have the wrong status. I think they have the status of courier retrieve, which will not let me check them in. For others I knew the tape numbers, I just changed their state and checked them in, since I do not know the tape ####, it is more complicated. They are just in the library, not known by TSM. and yes I also fighting the newbie blues here as you can probably tell.

did you try to check them in with the command :
Checkin libv LIBNAME search=yes status=private checkl=barcode
?

I think part of the problem I am having is because of a specific timeframe where we had a mini meltdown. Everything is back to a healthy state, but I have this issue as a result of the mini meltdown. I believe in addition to them not being checked in, they also have the wrong status. I think they have the status of courier retrieve, which will not let me check them in. For others I knew the tape numbers, I just changed their state and checked them in, since I do not know the tape ####, it is more complicated. They are just in the library, not known by TSM. and yes I also fighting the newbie blues here as you can probably tell.

Provided that you have the tapes onsite and ready to go into TSM, you can easily deal with the "courier retrieve" state: have a look at the help for the "move drm" command (be careful: misapplication of this command can cause you to lose track of tape cartridges - not too bad if you have a list outside TSM, but could be an issue otherwise.) egtegt's comment is also valid - get them checked into the library from TSM's perspective, then deal with figuring out which ones are scratch, which ones aren't.

Good luck.

Back