tape rotation

eldo

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I've made a dbbackup and backed up storage pools to 2 tapes. then i've moved media to vault and checked it out.

Primary Storage Pools :
Copy Storage Pools : OFFSITE_POOL
Not Mountable Location Name : NOTMOUNTABLE
Courier Name : COURIER
Vault Site Name : VAULT
DB Backup Series Expiration Days : 1
Day(s)Recovery Plan File Expiration Days : 1 Day(s)
Check Label? : Yes
Process FILE Device Type? : No
Command File Name :

for copy pool Delay Period for Volume Reuse : 1 Day(s)
after several days drm hasn't changed status of media to vault-retrieve. could you help me to figure out what's wrong?

ps i'm trying to organize full backups to move offsite everyday and everyday return from offsite the old one made a day before.

The amount of days it takes before you will see tapes changing to vaultretrieve depends on several things:
- The percentage of tape that is in use compared to the reclaim percentage limit in your OFFSITE_POOL
- The number of versions and days you set in your backup policies
- The number of expiration days of your DB backup

It would be perfectly normal not to see any tapes coming back right now, except for your DB backup tape. This one should have moved to the vaultretrieve state already.

What kind of database backup did you perform (Snapshot, full?) What is the exact command you used to check your DRM volumes?

BACKUP STGPOOL ORACLE_POOL OFFSITE_POOL SHREDTONOshred=YES
BACKUP STGPOOL FILES_POOL OFFSITE_POOL SHREDTONOshred=YES
BACKUP DB DEVC=LTO_DEVICE TYPE=FULL VOL=xxxxx

query was:
Q DRM

and perhaps i'm doing wrong things because i'd like to send full backups of data to vault everyday and so recieve old one from vault every day. I mean i'd like to have actual data in vault within time period of 1 day and not to use lots of tapes for it. But the number of days to keep inactive versions for management class is set up to 356 days.

Eldo,

What you want is not feasible. Having full backups offsite daily? If I understand correctly you want the copypool tapes to cycle themselves daily. This would require you create a new copypool everyday and backup all the data to it daily. If your retention time is 365 days you are eventually going to be dealing with more data than you could possibly process in one day with a full.

There's not so much data.
First i thought of doing backupset everyday and moving it offsite. But backupsets don't seem to work with data from databases. So i decided to make it with drm.
Could you explain why i need to make a new copypool everyday?
I thought I can make a copypool with two volumes. Make a full backup of data, then move volume1 offsite, another day make one more fullbackup, move volume2 offsite and recieve volume1 from bakup. Isn't it possible?

Add: Maybe I can have two backuppools. 1st day - backup on one pool. day 2 - backup on the second pool and clear the first. Will that work? If I clear the first pool, its tapes should be empty so it should be vaultretrieve. Am I right?

Last edited:
Can I make DRM work with tapes as it is described in http://adsm.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1598 for simple "move media" command? I'd like to organize the same rotation of everyday backups with DRM. Or it's not possible and DRM is not for this? Maybe something like Reclamation threshold =1% for copypool can force daily tape rotation?

Hi,

It sounds as though you want a solution for DRM with only two tapes, of which only one tape will be offsite? I think this is not a very usefull solution. If you want DRM to work as designed, you need more tapes, and a backup of the TSM database made on a daily basis and move that one offsite as well. I would recommend a cycle which lasts at least 3 days, so you will have 3 TSM db copies offsite, and some versions of your data.
Order some more tapes, and go for the reliable option. Otherwise, don't bother using DRM at all.

Hi, Willem_AIX.
It's ok for 3 days, but I'm not sure I understand some points of DRM. If my full backup is 1 tape. How many tapes will I need? 3 data + 3 db = 6 tapes, am i right? Will I so be able to organize daily backups of data (moving copy storage volumes offsite) and when are they supposed to return?

The matter is i'd really like to send tapes to offsite everyday. But BACKUP STGPOOL seems to make incremental backups. Management class stores lots of versions for 365 days. So data won't be expired earlier then 365 days on the tapes offsite? Does it mean that I need about 365 tapes for daily backups? I can't get it, when I'll be able to get my tapes from offsite?

You do reclamation of the offsite copypool volumes. TSM uses the primary onsite tapes to build a new tape to send offsite, and leaves the copypool volume in pending state for your re-use delay, then DRM brings it back for reuse.

Great thanks. I've checked it for several weeks, reclamation helped. And DBBackups move to vaultretrieve after new dbbackups are made.

Back