Tape library attached to non TSM server

rischard

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I intend to attach a tape library to non TSM server (only B/a client is installed on this server). The server's os is windows 2003 and the library is supported by TSM. TSM server is aslo Win2003. How to configure TSM to use the tape library attached to non tsm server? Can you advice me which documentation I need to read?

Thanks for responses.

I don't think this is at all possible. The library has to be driven via a TSM server. I don't see any settings in TSM that allows for a remote, non-TSM controlled Tape library to be defined.

I think only way is to install tsm server also on this "non tsm" server (with attached tape library) and configure it to work with primary tsm server.

Rischard;
Your "Library Manager" goal - can be accomplished with the installation of TSM server code and all the necessary device drivers and nothing more. Its sole function would be to direct all media requests. The library obviously will be a "shared" library. The other TSM servers would be classified as library clients.
You may run into resistence from within TSM when Windows RSM services are managing the tape library. You'll immediately find the naming conventions will be different and not under your control. You will also allow the Windows Server OS access to your TSM media which may create a high risk of data corruption and/or loss.
I would recommend installing the TSM server code and device drivers and build a small TSM DB, using default sizes should be fine.

Good luck - hope this helps

Last edited:
Back