Tape in library, but not mounting?

Toonces

Newcomer
Reaction score
The situation is that we need to restore several servers, but it's been a frightful mess so far and my knowledge of TSM wouldn't cover more than a few pages, or roughly the length of a resume, ironically speaking.

We have two libraries, a 3583 and 3573.

The focus is on using the 73 and we had someone come in here and set it up that way, the 3583 still contains tapes but is not written to at this point as we're looking to retire it.

When I initiate a restore, it will restore a few hundred meg and then insist on a tape needing to be mounted. The tape is available in the 3583, but the system fails to mount it regardless of how much time I wait.

What would cause this? What can I do? Do you need more information?

Using TSM Studio, I notice that the drives in the 3853 have a Drive State of "Unknown". If I try to place the drive ONLINE, I can get an error message that the library is currently unavailable. The library does seem to report back to the server, and I've been able to check out a tape or two.

First of all, you did not mention what platform you are running the two libraries from. I would presume further that the two libraries have been connected to the TSM server.

What you can do is determine if the 3583 is defined to the TSM server: what does 'q library f=d' and 'q path' return? Do you see two libraries? Do you see the tape drives in both libraries, and are the paths unique?

Back