Sun Coolthreads architecture suitabilty for NW server

nicbone

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm currently looking at replacing our current NW server (Solaris9 V440 8GB mem 4 x IIIi CPU NW 7.4sp1 Network edition,140 clients) & also a matching hot spare for our DR location.

The coolthreads line seems to dominate Sun's line up in the server lower end now. I ran the cooltst utility which stated that the current server load would not really take advantage of the parallelism of the coolthreads architecture but apart from that the workload was suitable. I realise that the coolthreads range is more about server consolidation but doubt we will do more than run the NW server on it as we are not currently under pressure to consolidate/virtualise existing servers.

So - is anyone running this platform as a NW server? Your experiences? good, bad & indifferent please.

Any info or comments appreciated as I need to make a reccomendation on this shortly.

Thanks
Nick

Hi, we use the Sun T2000 platform for NetWorker and it works beautifully. I back up approx. 40 TB/week through a pair of T2000s (one NSR server, one storage node) which share a common tape library. With all five LTO-3 drives spinning, my load average seldom exceeds 3 or 4.

HTH!

Back