Strategy to create monthly and yearly backups !?

Tom

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi !

I'm a little bit confused about the TSM Architecture :/

I try to create a Backup concept for our Servers. At the moment i do incremental Backups of our File and Mailserver. Now i want to create every Month a Backup (Snapshot) of our Server and move the Data (Volumes) to another Location, I know that this is called offsite Storage in TSM. But how can I collect all the Data to one Specific Volume? I tried to create another Storage Pool and do a Full Backup from the Server, but the Storage Pool is definied in the Policy Domain and I can bind an Client only to on Policy Domain :/

I think monthly and yearly Backups are not so unusually that there is no way to do this with TSM ! How do you monthly Backups ???

Tom,

To achieve 'monthly' backups of your data to a specific stgpool, I would do an Archive to a special archive management class, that retains data for the time you want, and sends it to the media you want.

for instance

dsmc archive * -archmc=SPECIALARCHIVEMANAGEMENTCLASS

this assumes you have defined a management class inside your policy domain that is

called:

specialarchivemanagementclass

and that you have defined an archive copygroup that points to your desired storage pool

As far as putting the data to specific tapes , TSM (with collocation) will do this, but it really isnt designed for that sort of backup logic. You might be better off creating a "copystgpool" and monthly backing up your primary backup and archive stgpools or even just your archive stgpool and sending THAT data offsite. rather than trying to say "well im going to put this data on this tape and away it goes"

Binding data to specific media volumes is really a Non-TSM concept.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Hi !

I'm a little bit confused about the TSM Architecture :/

I try to create a Backup concept for our Servers. At the moment i do incremental Backups of our File and Mailserver. Now i want to create every Month a Backup (Snapshot) of our Server and move the Data (Volumes) to another Location, I know that this is called offsite Storage in TSM. But how can I collect all the Data to one Specific Volume? I tried to create another Storage Pool and do a Full Backup from the Server, but the Storage Pool is definied in the Policy Domain and I can bind an Client only to on Policy Domain :/

I think monthly and yearly Backups are not so unusually that there is no way to do this with TSM ! How do you monthly Backups ???

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Hi,

i think like you that the best way is to use copystgpools, the Proble is our Hardware (that was given)! We us an LTO Library with only one drive, if i try to setup an copystgpool on this TSM says corrctly that this device has only one mount point and so no data can be read from one and written to another tape :/

Back