Store password automatically

Rigido

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi TSMers,

this year I'm going to follow some big projects (something like 50 partitions per project) on pSeries and I'm trying to write a NIM post installation script just to make an initial installation (nodename=hostname, password=hostname2007).

I'm going to use PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE so, after dsm.sys, dsm.opt, mkitab once for the DSMCAD (will ever IBM change this command so we can put it on inittab as respawn?), putting a script to check for DSMCAD up and running in the crontab, running dsmadmc to register the new node...I have to register the password.

Right now it looks like it is impossible to do it in an unattended mode! :cry:

I tried with << and I even tried with the DSMSETPW from the HSM client fileset.

I started to think to API, writing a simple command that will read user/password from the command line...where can I find a better documentation?

Grazie,

Andrea.

Once you have the initial password set, you no longer need to provide it (assuming you're root) setting the initial password is the difficulty. If you use expect, you can script it with ease. I think expect is also part of the Linux affinity toolkit so IBM supports it.

-Aaron

Have you tried this?

- use a 'general' admin account for the TSM client

- on the command line:

dsmc <command-to-run> -password=<password-of-the-admin-account>

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Have you tried this?

- use a 'general' admin account for the TSM client

- on the command line:

dsmc &lt;command-to-run> -password=&lt;password-of-the-admin-account>

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Hi,

maybe I didn't understand what a 'general' admin is.

The client does a "dsmdmc -id=tsm -passw=tsm "reg node NODE NODE domain=MYDOM", so there is an admin NODE as node owner.

By the way, i read somewhere that the -password option is ignored when there is the PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE in the dsm.sys file. In fact it didn't work. Thank you.

PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE only works with client actions (dsm/dsmc/dsmj) and not admin functions (dsmadmc)

-Aaron

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Once you have the initial password set, you no longer need to provide it (assuming you're root) setting the initial password is the difficulty. If you use expect, you can script it with ease. I think expect is also part of the Linux affinity toolkit so IBM supports it.

-Aaron</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Hi Aaron,

just did a lpp_boundle so I can install TSM Client fileset + expect + tk + tcl. I started to read about expect. Thank you.

Back