Storage pool consolidation

shcart

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
I have a couple of issues.

I did a move nodedata from one onsite sequential storagepool to another.

Result: # of onsite tapes containing that node went from 157 to 3.

Backup new storagepool to new copypool ( got to keep > 2 copies just in case ). The copypool uses 3 tapes as well. DR recovery will be a doddle now.

Good so far, but we still have 200 tapes on the old copypool.

Now to clean up the old copypool

Backup old storage pool to old copypool should get rid of old data right, nothing happens. Expire inventory and still nothing happens.

How do I get rid of the copypool content for that node......???

Is there an easier way than this of reducing the # of OFFSITE tapes that a node occupies.

Cheers

SteveC

Try issuing a DEL VOL command for the tapes in the old copypool. Then issue your back old storage pool to old copypool.

I know of no easier way. I have requested that Tivoli add the ability to do move node commands against the copy pools. They have told me that the request was accepted by the developers but that they have no idea when it may be added to the product. Maybe if everyone started pressuring them for it then they may do it sooner rather than later.

I added my name as a me too on the same developer list.

THey really need to get there act together.

Issue with delete volumes is we dont have collocation on that pool so several systems offsites would be trashed until the next night. to consolidate the backups would require deleting dozens of tapes.

what we need is a force node backup or something similar at the copystoragepool level.

Lifes a bitch and then you find TSM.

Tks anyways

We found a way.

Its called selective backups

To get the consolidation offsite you have to create new objects in the TSM database so TSM backs them up again.

Another wonderful Tivoli efficiency tool. Come on guys lets get the offsite reorganisation sorted.

Cheers

SteveC

If you have moved the data to a new storage pool and copied it to a new storage pool, just delete the old copy storage pool volumes. There is no reason to keep them if the data has been copied and sent offsite. When you delete them, they will go to a vaultretrieve state and you can recall them.

We have done this successfully using a simple perl script.

Back