Storage Agent Service on Itanium Won't Start

tsmtodd

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
http
TSM Server: 5.3.3.1 running on AIX 5200-07

Client Node: BA 5.3.4.3 (64bit), TDP 5.2.1.4 (64bit), and Storage Agent 5.3.3.1 (32bit assumed) running on W2K3 SP1 i64.

The service won't start, but I can start dsmsta in foreground mode.

Any clues why? I imagine I am missing something stated in some obscure document, but I sure can't find it.

I have a ticket opened with support, awaiting their first contact. I was just curious if anyone had run into this before.

Hi,

had similar issue with TSM server running on the W2k3 IA64 (as STAgent is just stripped down server, I assume the problem is the same)

Was able to run it on the foreground, the service, however, started and stopped (with "nothing to do" message)- no errors.

Tried to solve that with IBM but no solution was found and my customer rather moved to x86-64 (which was OK after initial struggle and new x86-64 package from IBM) ....

Almost a year after that I was contacted by someone from IBM US asking ME for the solution

My PMR number was 22741,668,668

If you want, I can send you my communication with them

Hope someone will finally sort that out ...

Harry

P.S. info I posted on ADSM.ORG about that problem is here

Harry,

Thanks for the link..

I had run into a similar issue to mine, and yours, already.. but it had to do with storage agents still, instead of servers..

I had a 5.3.2.0 server (AIX), and was attempting to install 5.3.2.0 storage agent on a W2K3 i64 node.. I can't recall the symptom, but the resolution was to upgrade the server and storage agent to 5.3.2.4 (I think) or higher, as 5.3.2.4 was the first version that supported i64. We haven't done that, yet (due to other issues preventing the server upgrade).

This problem is dealing with a 5.3.3.1 (AIX) server, so we should be far enough beyond 5.3.2.4 for things to be stable.. but.. it's not.

I, and the applications manager, are really hoping we don't have to do something funky to get this working. We would like it to work in the normal manner, instead of having to run it in a foreground mode whenever the server boots. He really wants his application on i64..

I need more power, Scotty!!

Back