Staff per Instance/Client/Volume?

influx

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi all,

Gartner often does a breakdown of how many SA's are required per physical server under management. I'm interested in finding something similar for the backup space as it pertains to TSM. i.e. How many Backup Admins are required for X number of TSM instances, or X number of clients, or X volume of data. Can anyone point me in that direction. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Unfortunately, this number is very 'unpredictable'.

The number of TSM admins per TSM server depends on a lot of factors. It depends whether the TSM admin will be doing 1st level client support or not.

If the TSM admin does everything a node of 200 and 1 TSM server maybe on the high side.

If the TSM admin just focuses on the TSM server and System admins does the client side 'issues', then one can easily handle up to 15 or so servers.

In our shop we have one TSM 6.0 server with over 400 nodes, I also manage over 250TB of SAN space on multiple systems, 20 + VMWare ESXi servers, and 6 Hyper-V servers, and there are two of us backing each other up so I can go on vacation now and then. Or as my boss likes to say, "so if you get ran over by a bus, there's somebody that knows what's going on..."

That always give me the warm fuzzes.

Hi,
Currently there is me, working with around 200 clients and 2 Servers + DR Server. Backed by VTL. End to end support, around 7TB a night backup data.

The last place I was at there was over 3000 clients, over 8 TSM Servers and 2 ATL's. Over 30TB's a night backup data.There were 2 of us, end to end support ( Client right through to Server)

Back