Spectrum Protect Acronym

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Total voters

michaeldavis2

Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

What should we call it? Please vote or make your case for something else.

PREDATAR Control23

First option is not accepted by IBM because it abbreviates IBM.

The 3 I see the most are:
  • Spectrum Protect
  • SP
  • "Protect" by itself, since Spectrum Storage is the suite, Protect is the product. We see that at the server prompt:
    upload_2017-10-5_13-32-3.png

PREDATAR Control23

First option is not accepted by IBM because it abbreviates IBM.

The 3 I see the most are:
  • Spectrum Protect
  • SP
  • "Protect" by itself, since Spectrum Storage is the suite, Protect is the product. We see that at the server prompt:
    View attachment 1351
Recursive acronyms have never been an issue. For a while its official acronym was ITSM, for "IBM Tivoli Storage Manager". I think ADSTAR, which was the A in ADSM, was also an acronym.

I would prefer a return to an old name. This product's popularity grew rapidly when it was called ADSM. That's the name of this web site, of the leading email list, is still sprinkled throughout the product, and is the name I prefer. This is the name that has the strongest brand recognition, even today. We can make up a new meaning for it, but it should be ADSM, its still-widely-used retro acronym. How about "Archive and Disaster Spectrum Manager", or something even better. The S should be Spectrum, to match its new branding.

PREDATAR Control23

What up Michael! Looks like you are bored or over there ;)
I go by what works to google with. TSM always worked, but I fear the newer IBM doc might not be searchable that way anymore. So I have been using "Spectrum Protect" and it has been working well. The other options are not specific enough.

PREDATAR Control23

This causes endless confusion in my environment. I have been asked how I managed to bring an entirely new backup product into the environment (Spectrum Protect) without extensive proof of concept testing and management approvals. I wish we could just leave well enough alone and keep TSM. Spectrum Protect Plus just adds to the confusion. If that can't be done, lets call it IBM Spectrum Protect or ISP.

PREDATAR Control23

I prefer Protect Server - Protect is too generic and I'm done with confusing acronyms. I call SPP 'Plus' as well and it all seems clear enough to go with.

PREDATAR Control23

When they first told me about the upcoming change - I told the guys in level two that Spectrum Protect sounded like a condom As the admin I call it ISP most others here still call it TSM

PREDATAR Control23

That's funny Flip! I actually have reverted now to SPP for Plus and SP for the Protect server but only when when dealing with the integration between the two. My only problem is I can acidentally drop a 'P' on SPP and then confuse everyone all over again :)

PREDATAR Control23

We just call it TSM. Even our system manager for TSM never used the word Spectrum Protect