• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

• Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

Spectrum Container STGP Operations and Recovery Problems

Cracken

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi! It was a long time to wait - I had been out of TSM for almost 12 years - (tending to Networker/Data Domain/IDPA Avamar/DDVE/Commvault/Pure) and now inherited a Spectrum Protect site to support with challenging issues at hand. Let me give a situation overview.

We have Container STGPOOLS - and server A replicating/protect stgp to remote server B - but each run returns a FAILURE now for months because hordes of damaged files are reported. Besides having lost server A stgpooldir disks some time back, that got replaced, but not rebuild (if one could). On server B side a TAPECOPY container pool was used to take data from the container stgpool on server B - and that stopped about 18 months ago. To add insult most of the backed up data uses NO LIMIT retention settings.

My process followed and planned was/is to perform AUDIT container markd and removed actions on all "lost" stgpooldirs which were still present but marked either destroyed or unavailable. Those processes bar one are completed now. So I am marking the stgpooldirs as destroyed and tried to delete it. It comes back and tells me there are active containers so it fails. I checked the reusedelay for each stgpool and its set to 1. Should have been expired by now. What can be the cause here?

Once I succeeded with the cleanups of the lost stgpooldirs/containers I hope to do a tapecopy repair on server B container stgpool which is the target for server A container stgp. Will my "current "data" be preserved? Is there a danger of corrupting latest backup data in server B doing so? And once that repair on server B is done all OK can I use that to repair the stgp in server A without loosing server A data? I.e. is my logic plausible here and practically sound?

I am awaiting a re-license of this site with IBM and then only can approach IBM on this. The site was suppose to have migrated off to another competitive product - has not happened as planned yet.

I know this is a long topic - but might be a very good explanatory piece of work to illustrate Spectrum full functionality.
And yes I am working through Tricia Jiang's site - which gave me the master plan I ask about now.

Kindest regards

Campbell

Cracken

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi! It was a long time to wait - I had been out of TSM for almost 12 years - (tending to Networker/Data Domain/IDPA Avamar/DDVE/Commvault/Pure) and now inherited a Spectrum Protect site to support with challenging issues at hand. Let me give a situation overview.

We have Container STGPOOLS - and server A replicating/protect stgp to remote server B - but each run returns a FAILURE now for months because hordes of damaged files are reported. Besides having lost server A stgpooldir disks some time back, that got replaced, but not rebuild (if one could). On server B side a TAPECOPY container pool was used to take data from the container stgpool on server B - and that stopped about 18 months ago. To add insult most of the backed up data uses NO LIMIT retention settings.

My process followed and planned was/is to perform AUDIT container markd and removed actions on all "lost" stgpooldirs which were still present but marked either destroyed or unavailable. Those processes bar one are completed now. So I am marking the stgpooldirs as destroyed and tried to delete it. It comes back and tells me there are active containers so it fails. I checked the reusedelay for each stgpool and its set to 1. Should have been expired by now. What can be the cause here?

Once I succeeded with the cleanups of the lost stgpooldirs/containers I hope to do a tapecopy repair on server B container stgpool which is the target for server A container stgp. Will my "current "data" be preserved? Is there a danger of corrupting latest backup data in server B doing so? And once that repair on server B is done all OK can I use that to repair the stgp in server A without loosing server A data? I.e. is my logic plausible here and practically sound?

I am awaiting a re-license of this site with IBM and then only can approach IBM on this. The site was suppose to have migrated off to another competitive product - has not happened as planned yet.

I know this is a long topic - but might be a very good explanatory piece of work to illustrate Spectrum full functionality.
And yes I am working through Tricia Jiang's site - which gave me the master plan I ask about now.

Kindest regards

Campbell
Hi, an update - the site's Spectrum License has been renewed - so a case with IBM has been opened an hour or so ago. - Thanks

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 22 19.5%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 67 59.3%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 15 13.3%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 9 8.0%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavideGrossiTSM