Some basic questions about TSM for VE 7.1 and TSM Server as a vm

rvillano

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hello To all of you in this great Forum!
I haven't had to bug you folks for a while but now I have some basic questions I
Don't have any experience with so here goes:

I have a perspective customer who will have a v7000 unified, TSM v7.1, in a vm or physical HW,
and TSM for VE 7.1, IBM TS3200? the license model is " tivoli storage manager entry 7.1" this is
a new license model and I dont know much about it either.

questions:

1. Is it still true that a Tape library is NOT supported for a TSM server running on a VM?

2. Can TSM for VE just backup the esx host storage and not the vm guests that are attached to it?

3. can TSM for VE backup guests but not have a B/A client intalled on the guests? and if so how
does the restored data get back to the guests?

I'm sure I will have more questions but for starters I would really appreciate you feed back on these questions

Best Regards,
Bob

My answers:

1. Is it still true that a Tape library is NOT supported for a TSM server running on a VM?

The library will have SAS or FC connectivity. Can you present that to the TSM Virtual machine?

2. Can TSM for VE just backup the esx host storage and not the vm guests that are attached to it?

Short answer, no. What are the datastore made of? SAN? DAS? local disk?

3. can TSM for VE backup guests but not have a B/A client intalled on the guests? and if so how
does the restored data get back to the guests?

Yes. No need for guest backup agents.

You have two choices: File level restore or VM restore. I suggest you read the RedBook for Tivoli Data Protection for VMware.

Back