snapdiff by server schedule?

imoteb

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm backing up cifs shares from netapp filers by snapdiff by using a cmd script scheduled by windows scheduler:

-------------
set DSMC="C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\dsmc.exe"
set LOG="C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\log\backup.log"
set LOG2="C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\log\backupshares.log"
set OPT="C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\dsm_snapdiff.opt"

net use g: \\netapp04\cifs_shares$ /persistent:no
%DSMC% inc -optfile=%OPT% -snapdiff g: > %LOG2%
net use g: /delete
exit
---------------

Disadvantage of this solution is, of course, I do not see success or failure of the schedule if I have no time to check it manually.

New solution: schedule the job by TSM server:
action: inc
options: -snapdiff -presc="net use g: \\netapp04\cifs_shares$" -postsched="net use g: /delete"
objects: g:

This works fine if I start the TSM client like this: "dsmc sched", but not with dsm scheduler started by windows. What the hell is going wrong...

Last edited:
Hi,

there is absolutely nothing at the client. Server complains that the client has missed it's startup window...

try to update the start time for your schedul on the server and
then restart the schedule on the client in that order. Just to
see if it misses the schedule, don't forget to check the dsmsched.log
even if the client misses the schedule.

already did that, client gives absolutely no reply. Issuing "q sched" in the client tells me that the client knows about the schedule, but nothing happens, not even in the logs.

Use ISSUE MESSAGE <MESSAGE> to put a result code in the ACTLOG based on the backup results. You could then have a script search for the message and send it in e-mail or at least search for it yourself daily.

does it conflict with another schedule associated with the client like the nightly backup set for the same time? Is the schedmode prompted or polling?

... but not with dsm scheduler started by windows. What the hell is going wrong...

If the backup is run via the TSM Scheduler service, make sure it is not running as the Windows "System" account. The System account does not have sufficient authority to access network shares. In the service properties, change the user to an administrator that does have access to the share, and restart the TSM Scheduler service.

does it conflict with another schedule associated with the client like the nightly backup set for the same time? Is the schedmode prompted or polling?

Hey, great idea! it is prompted, and the manual points out something about prompted and scheduling mode. I will change it to polling.

User credentials are ok, always the first thing!

Back