Slow LanFree backup for SQL 2008 server

mmbdcis

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello,
Lately I noticed that one of my SQL 2008 servers is backuping slower than another one in the same enivorement.
Both servers are almost entirely identical physically and logically - Both are Windows 2008 SP2, 64 bit, 128GB Ram, 24 core cpu cores (4 processors X 6), with the same applications installed, specially SQL Server 2008.
Both servers have a dedicated 1GB HBA for their LanFree backups.
Both are using Storage Agent 5.5.4.3 + TDP for SQL 5.5.3 and are backing up to a AIX TSM Server 5.5.4.3 to a DD880 Data Domain.
The "faster" server backups at 80MBPS ("faster" cause he doesn't backup that fast as well ;) )
And the slower one is backing up at 50MBPS.
Faster one has several instances largest on is about 280GB Total, all together are about 450GB Total.
Slower one has one instance that is about 1.3TB Data + 630GB Log.
Both have same dsm.opt, the relevant configs are:
Compression off
enablelanfree yes
uselargebuffer yes
lanfreecommethod tcpip
tcpbuffsize 32

They also have the same tdpsql.cfg as following, except one difference that i'll state below:
Buffers 3
Buffersize 1024
SQLbuffers 0
SQLBuffersize 1024
stripes 1
mountwaitfordata yes
diffestimate 20

The only difference in the tdpsql.cfg is that in the slower server we have:
backupmethod legacy

I'll be really glad if you could give me some insights to what can I do and check in order to improve my backup speed because the way it is right now is just taking way too much time for this kind of system.
If I missed some info or someone wants to ask for more info from those systems just tell me and I'll get it right away.
Thanks alot!

Back