Single Tape Drive Reclamation woes...

vyruzj

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I am currently using a single tape drive in my TSM environment. I am using a reclain pool to do reclamation. My questions is how does the thing really work? From the admin guide, if i understand it correctly when reclamation happen, contents of the tape will be moved to the reclaim pool and the expiration and reclamation happens in the reclaim pool. The reclamation will continue until the pool is full and it will then be move back to the tape.

What if the reclaim pool does not become full? It will remain in the reclaim pool?

Hi,

yes, it will stay there - but you can controll it by setting the migration thresholds to 0 periodically

Hope it helps

Harry

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Hi,

yes, it will stay there - but you can controll it by setting the migration thresholds to 0 periodically

Hope it helps

Harry</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Hi Harry,

So to speak, i might need to set both the low and high migration threshold to 0 so dat it will migrate back to the tape rite?

Can it be done with out human intervention like automatically?

I have another scenario like the 1st except that i have collocations enabled so different tape volumes for different nodes might do reclamation as well. Lets say if during the reclamation process for backup data of node A, and the data stays in reclaim pool 50% full. Then reclamation process for backup data of node B occurs. How do we go about solving this ?

Sorry if i ask a lot of questions as i am new to this whole TSM thing and i can't find the answers from the admin guide or the implementation guide.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, you can automate the entire process by defining an administrative command schedule that either updates the pools migration thresholds or runs the "migrate stg" command on this pool. The second approach will require a TSM 5.3 server. The scenario with multiple nodes will work transparently with no need to adjust anything. TSM will automatically migrate data back to the right, collocated tapes.

Cheers

PJ

PJ &amp; Henry,

I forgot to mentioned that i am using TSM server 5.3.4. So that means i do not need to remigrate back from the reclaim pool to the tape. I will try it out again just to confirm. Thanks a lot guys!

Another question. How big does the reclaim pool has to be? Coz i am having an Ultrium 3 tape drive which can hold 400GB of data and my total available storage space in my HDD is only 80GB. Can the reclaim pool size be smaller than the tape?

Hi,

yes, it may be smaller - anyway, when your tape is 400GB and your recl. threshold is 80% then it means you will not reclaim more than 80GB (20% of 400GB)

Hope it helps

Harry

Back