Setting up file systems on RHEL

DanGiles

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
RHEL 6(.4?), TSM 7.1.1, SSD for database and active logs, SATA for storage pools and archive log.

I am not (yet) a Linux guru, so there are a number of questions I have in setting up the file systems. The TSM documentation on this is pretty scarce, so I am pinging the group to see what they're doing. Here are my questions:

In the performance tuning guide concerning the ext4 file system, it states: “You can avoid file and free space fragmentation, which improves read and write performance”. Is it saying that I can get away with NOT predefining all my storage pool volumes, and just use scratch (for FILE device type pools)?

There are special SSD optimization parameters (e.g. mount -o discard /dev/sdb1 /mnt/). Should they be used?
Should journaling be used? On all file systems? I would believe that if all volumes are predefined, then it shouldn't be needed. If TSM does all direct I/O, then it shouldn't be needed.
There are also some mk2fs options I am wondering about. Use “-O small” for database file systems? largefile4?

Most of the documentation I found has a lot of hand waving, as if one should find everything quite obvious. :confused:

Back