Server NOTIN COMPLIANCE with licensing terms

OKTSMGURU21

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I am receiving an error stating that my license agreement is not in compliance with my current TSM server. What brought this upon was the fact that I registered a new node 'just for testing purposes'. The question that I have is this - If I " lock " that node, instead of deleting it, will the TSM server still see it as an active node, and charge it against the purchased license config. ?

If I have no-other-choice, I will delete the node......I was just wondering

:confused: :-o

Hi,

unless I have misunderstood things, currently TSM clients are being licensed per processor. Presumably then if you are not backing anything up to it, and the node is not therefore 'live', there are therefor no associated processors and you do not need a license. Perhaps somebody can confirm this?

As I type this I am in the process of unpicking what exactly the licensing terms are with our IBM business partner. If it turns out to be anything wildly different to the above paragraph I'll be sure and post a correction.

In any case, other than your actlog filling up the invalid license message, it will not do you any harm. A REG LIC file=xxxx.lic n=yyy should clear the it up though.

Regards,

Tom

Let me explain two things about Licensing TSM.

1.) The funcional licensing is what you do when you register a client or agent with the TSM Server. Say you have 10 servers you want to backup over the LAN. These clients need to be registered with the TSM server first. Each node or client has to place a unique name in the TSM Server database to be idenitied with TSM. Once you do this you may receive an error stating " Server Not in compliance with Licensing agreement". This is the funcional licensing, In order to clear this up you have to register a licens for each funcition. Register License file=mgsyslan.lic number=10 this will now allow 10 clients or nodes to run without error reporting in the TSM Server. This is an honor system. You can register as many licenses as you want and IBM will not stop you funicitonaly. Each funcition SAN backups or LAN-Free have a license to register with the TSM server, all funcitional licensing.

2.) The Billable licensing. This is the type that IBM cares about. Each TSM license is NOW based on Processor count. Now let's take the above example of 10 servers to run LAN based backups. You funcitionally registered 10 client licenses with the TSM server so your good to go funcitionally but not legally. Now IBM will charge you for all the processors that the 10 servers have. example of the 10 servers you have 2 of them are 2 way processors and 2 of them are 4 way processors with the remaining 6 being single processor servers. IBM will charge you for 18 processors for LAN based backups. Now you would be legal for client licensing. Now if your TSM server is also one of those 10 you could run a TSM server and a client on the same physical box and the processors have already been counted for so the instance of the TSM Server does not require a processor license. Now if the TSM server is on another server not one of the 10 then you will have to pay for processors that the TSM Server will use. This counts for all funcitional licenses such as SAN Babckups which require a storage agent. You will have to register 1 SAN client in the TSM Server but pay for processors that are used for this funcition even though you have a LAN based client on the same server. so if the LAN-free backup is on one of the 10 say the 4 way processor then you have to pay for 2 processors for SAN client agents.

Simple breakdown is this.

10 servers equal 10 LAN client nodes

total processors for the above 10 are 18 processors

1 SAN client Storage agent on a 4 processor machine

1 TSM Server on a 2 way processor

You pay IBM for 10 LAN processors, 4 SAN processors and 2 TSM Server processor

Hope this helps. Remember funcitional licensing versus Billable licenses

Is there a way to count the number of processors for all the clients being backed up by a TSM Server via a select command or some other electronic method as opposed to doing a login on each client to determine the number of CPUs?

I'm trying to find out if our current license of managed processors is within range of the number of managed processors being backed up.

-Darin

I am currently having a problem getting a new MS Exchange client license to be accepted by TSM. I can see the license code in the server directory; when I do a Q LIC, I can see that we are allocated for the license, but I cannot get the license registered.

What am I doing wrong ???

Back