Server can't execute schedule on client 5.4.X

LarryB

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
www.telstraclear.co.nz
I have installed a 5.4 client on a Windows 2003 server. The client can talk to the server by dsmc and I can backup from the client using the GUI. There is no firewall in between. However (error below), the schedule from the server doesn't appear to work. Any ideas ?

thanks in advance

===

30/04/08 04:40:04 AM ANR2716E Schedule prompter was not able to contact client
AKTPSIAS05 using type 1 (10.200.11.219 1501). (SESSION:
2218)
30/04/08 05:40:01 AM ANR2578W Schedule AKTPSIAS05_DLYINC in domain PD_WINDOWS
for node AKTPSIAS05 has missed its scheduled start up
window.

How about the Windows (software) firewall? Is this disabled? I have come across this issue on several occasions.

Can you post your dsm.opt file and can you ping the client from the TSM server, or can you run traceroute to the client from the TSM server successfully?

Can you post your dsm.opt file and can you ping the client from the TSM server, or can you run traceroute to the client from the TSM server successfully?

This is the dsm.opt. This was created by the GUI:
PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\microsoft uam volume\...\*"
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\microsoft uam volume\...\*.*"
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\...\EA DATA. SF"
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\IBMBIO.COM"
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\IBMDOS.COM"
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\IO.SYS"
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\...\system32\config\...\*"
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\...\system32\Perflib*.dat"
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\...\system32\dhcp\...\*"
INCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\...\system32\dhcp\backup\...\*"
EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\...\system32\dns\...\*"
INCLUDE.BACKUP "*:\...\system32\dns\backup\...\*"
EXCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:\microsoft uam volume\...\*"
EXCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:\microsoft uam volume\...\*.*"
EXCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:\...\EA DATA. SF"
EXCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:\IBMBIO.COM"
EXCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:\IBMDOS.COM"
EXCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:\IO.SYS"
EXCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:\...\system32\config\...\*"
EXCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:\...\system32\Perflib*.dat"
EXCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:\...\system32\dhcp\...\*"
INCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:\...\system32\dhcp\backup\...\*"
EXCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:\...\system32\dns\...\*"
INCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:\...\system32\dns\backup\...\*"
EXCLUDE.DIR "*:\System Volume Information"
EXCLUDE.DIR "*:\...\Temporary Internet Files"
EXCLUDE.DIR "*:\Recycled"
EXCLUDE.DIR "*:\Recycler"
DOMAIN C:
DOMAIN SYSTEMSERVICES
DOMAIN SYSTEMSTATE
DOMAIN ALL-LOCAL
TCPSERVERADDRESS tksvr01.clear.co.nz

traceroute and other networking tests prove connectivity. Also, do I need any services running on the client such as the dsmcad.exe running ? We rely on the server initiating the backup (scheduled)

Is the 'TSM Client Scheduler'-service installed on the 2003 server?

No. You mean the dsmcad.exe ? If this needs to be installed, is it the only one. What about dsmsrv.exe ?

No, not dsmcad.exe, but the TSM Client scheduler (dsmcsvc.exe).
This service queries the TSM server for the client schedule.

You can install the scheduler service by opening the B/A client on the 2003 server you want to backup, en select Utilities - Setup wizard from the menu.
Select the option "Help me configure the TSM Client Scheduler", and go through the wizard.

Without the TSM Scheduler installed and the Remote Client acceptor services installed along with CAD, you can't make the TSM Server initiate any schedule for backups.

Without the TSM Scheduler installed and the Remote Client acceptor services installed along with CAD, you can't make the TSM Server initiate any schedule for backups.

I have three services. As amtter of interest which ones do I need up ?
TSM Remote Client Agent - dsmagent.exe
TSM Client Acceptor - dsmcad.exe
TSM Client Scheduler - dsmcsrv.exe

It is working, but I know only specific services have to be up, as some start others. Thanks for your efforts.

If you are using dsmcad to initiate TSM backups, then DSMCAD must be started which in turn calls the SCHEDULER.

The Scheduler service can run by itself (always running) or it can be started by the CAD (client acceptor daemon). In my environment, I have clients set up as the former.

However, I did not see a port listed in your dsm.opt file. You said that dsmc and the GUI communicate just fine. The tsm server uses port 1500 by default, so if you don't have it specified (like in your dsm.opt file), it falls to that port. You can specify it in the opt file with TCPPort <port>. The TSM Client Scheduler Service can also be configured with a port. To check, go to your installation directory (c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\baclient) and run DSMCUTIL QUERY /NAME:<name of service in quotes>. If a port isn't listed, then it will revert to your dsm.opt file or the default port. If you have a different port configured, then that may be your issue.

Back