scripting checkin and checkout with volume label across tape group.

ndonato

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hola,

I am looking for a script that will allow me to prompt for a volume label and then checkin all tapes in my library as well as checking them out. I am replacing my previous method of archive.(ARCSERV) {{{{shutters at arcserv}}} and migrating to tivoli. I would like to make it easier to check in 14 tapes label it as a group and once my archive is complete check the tape set back out. Or something to that effect... anyone have a simple script that does such a handy thing?

-n

hi,

we are using specific label prefixes to checkout a set of offsite tapes.

i think, this can help as a first idea:

we are checking out tapes with labels beginning with 'ARC' or 'DBB' :

#begin script

dsmadmc -id=xxxx -password=xxxx q libvol | grep LB0.0.0.0 | awk '/ARC/ { print $2 }'|

while read bandnr; do

dsmadmc -id=xxxx -password=xxxx checkout libv LB0.0.0.0 $bandnr remove=bulk checklabel=no

done

sleep 10

dsmadmc -id=xxxx -password=xxxx q libvol | grep LB0.0.0.0 | awk '/DBB/ { print $2 }'|

while read bandnr; do

dsmadmc -id=xxxx -password=xxxx checkout libv LB0.0.0.0 $bandnr remove=bulk checklabel=no

done

#end script

i think you can do checkin in a similar way...

good luck,

R.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Hola,

I am looking for a script that will allow me to prompt for a volume label and then checkin all tapes in my library as well as checking them out. I am replacing my previous method of archive.(ARCSERV) {{{{shutters at arcserv}}} and migrating to tivoli. I would like to make it easier to check in 14 tapes label it as a group and once my archive is complete check the tape set back out. Or something to that effect... anyone have a simple script that does such a handy thing?

-n</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks R the only problem i need to solve now is getting all tapes to associate to the sequential volume. ( i am rather new to TSM myself) Also this is on windows im doing all this with TSM 4.2

Thanks for all your help

-n

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>hi,

we are using specific label prefixes to checkout a set of offsite tapes.

i think, this can help as a first idea:

we are checking out tapes with labels beginning with 'ARC' or 'DBB' :

#begin script

dsmadmc -id=xxxx -password=xxxx q libvol | grep LB0.0.0.0 | awk '/ARC/ { print $2 }'|

while read bandnr; do

done

sleep 10

dsmadmc -id=xxxx -password=xxxx q libvol | grep LB0.0.0.0 | awk '/DBB/ { print $2 }'|

while read bandnr; do

done

#end script

i think you can do checkin in a similar way...

good luck,

R.

>>Hola,

-n&lt;&lt;</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

hi,

1)

in addition to this script we use gnu unix tools on WinNT to get funktions like 'awk'.

it works fine.

2) we define these special labelled tapes to a specific sequential access pool with another script based on these prefixes:

#begin script

dsmadmc -id=xxxx -password=xxxx q libvol | grep LB6.0.0.0 | awk '/ARC/ { print $2 }'|

while read bandnr; do

dsmadmc -id=xxxx -password=xxxx define vol ARCHIVEPOOL_OFFSITE $bandnr

dsmadmc -id=xxxx -password=xxxx update vol $bandnr acc=readwrite

done

#end script

R

R i tried to load this into 4.2.0.0 (its a baseline install) and it came back script invalid on line one i took out the #begin script stuff... it still choked is it cuz i might have control characters in there?

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>hi,

1)

in addition to this script we use gnu unix tools on WinNT to get funktions like 'awk'.

it works fine.

2) we define these special labelled tapes to a specific sequential access pool with another script based on these prefixes:

#begin script

dsmadmc -id=xxxx -password=xxxx q libvol | grep LB6.0.0.0 | awk '/ARC/ { print $2 }'|

while read bandnr; do

dsmadmc -id=xxxx -password=xxxx define vol ARCHIVEPOOL_OFFSITE $bandnr

dsmadmc -id=xxxx -password=xxxx update vol $bandnr acc=readwrite

done

#end script

R</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry :rolleyes: ,

just another info:

the scripts i posted, do not work as 'server command scripts' inside a tsm server!!!

these are external command line scripts, which are using the installed TSM ADMIN Command Line Client on the local TSM Server to execute admin commands on this TSM server.

R

yeah apparently it waxed my server install im trying to get working commandline nothing is responding now... it didnt like that tis ok. I shoulda asked first its my tail etc..

Back