Scratch Tapes

mricca

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Over the last year we have been implementing TSM and a new tape library. We are just now getting close to getting all our servers on TSM and backing up using the library. We are using HP LTO 200 GB tapes. We have approximately 375 tapes. My question is on the average, how many of these 375 should be used for scratch tapes. I was told that it is good to have at least 20% allocated as scratch. I need to come up with a method to determine when we need to purchase new tapes and how many. It has been very hard to judge my scratch tape usage over the last year because we were continually adding new clients. One day I will have 40 and the next I will have 20. We are using collocation. Does anyone have a good method on how to judge how many new tapes need to be bought. In the past we use to require new servers supply a 2 week rotation worth of tapes...but at 200GB that seems over-kill.... Just looking for any suggestions. :grin:

We looked at the largest day for ejected tapes (off-site tapes) and took the average of that day for a few weeks then doubled it. We have about 2200 3590E tapes and we keep at least 50 scratch in the library.

Andy

Back