same file being used by 2 different processes

pcoviello

Newcomer
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have the same file coming off disk and going two different tape drives. one is migration and the other is the backup storage pool to offsite... this is a 300+gb sql db file on dlt8000 tapes. so which one should I cancel or can both be left going... the only caveat is at some point if the backup doesn't finish the morning jobs don't kick off...

tsm 5.3.4.0

any thoughts?
thanks
Paul

Paul
Ya know both of these jobs are TSM Admin schedules. You dont want to cancel either of them. Migration is going to be used to keep your diskpool at a certain value - pushing data to tape once it meets a certain threshold level. The backup storage pool jobs sends your data offsite.

I am curious to know where your sql db data is going - to which storage pool - disk or tape? I am assuming you are going to disk first. Or not.?

Adjust your backup storage pool admin routine earlier on in the evening - give yourself enough time to nightlies to run as before your tape handlers prepare for offsite media movement. Your migration thresholds are at your discretion.

Let us know

How do you know its the same "file" getting a "backup stgpool" and a migration at the same time? Or do you mean same stgpool?

Anyway, usually its better to let backup stgpools from disk-> tape complete first, then let migrations run after that. This way the backup stgpool can copy from disk to tape rather than having to do tape->tape. You might want to reorganise your admin schedules if you can. Generally your housekeeping will go faster this way.

Back