Running TSM 5.5 on AIX 5.2

scrow

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience running TSM 5.5 on AIX 5.2 ? I understand it is not supported, but has anyone done it successfully?
Thank you !!!

scrow

I don't think that running TSM 5.5 on AIX 5.2 will be OK. Even if it runs, it will sure be unstable. Best way is to upgrade to AIX 5.3 and you will have less nightmares.

What is it that is stopping you from upgrading to AIX 5.3?

Thank you for quick reply

Thank you for the quick reply! The delay in going to AIX 5.3 has to do with trying to find out if a third part application will work well with 5.3.

It should ... right? No major changes or anything?? We already tried installing TSM 5.5 before we found out that it wasn't officially supported on AIX 5.2, that's why I'm trying to find out if anybody has experience with this scenario already.

scrow

I would not go for long using TSM 5.5 on AIX 5.2.

What do you mean by Apps to work well on AIX 5.3? Are you mixing other Apps on the TSM Server? Not the proper way I would do it.

We are a small place, since TSM will mostly work off hours the way we have it configured, there shouldn't be any problem running two other apps during the day.
scrow

AIX 5.2 will be dropped from support in April 2009. I would start the process to migrate to AIX 5.3 or 6.1 now if I were you. Also, you can use TSM 5.4 which is still supported and works on AIX 5.2; 5.3; and 6.1

-Aaron

Along the lines of AIX 5.3 vs 5.2 ; Does anyone know of any good links that would help me understand the differences between the two versions?
Thanks again!
scrow

Most of the differences involve LVM (JFS vs JFS2, Big VG/Scalable VG vs standard VG) 64bit (64bit on 5.2 is available but much better in 5.3) and HUGE performance boost on P5 hardware.

If you go out to the IBM site, there is a AIX 5.3 differences guide redbook. They release a differences guide with every new version.

-Aaron

Thanks

Thank you for the redbook suggestion, I'll go check it out.
Steve

Back