Running NDMP Backup and stopping it

dwjongbloed

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I have been issues the last 2 weekends with my NDMP backups failing. We have been in contact w/ our NETAPP people and they have suggested we power cycle our tape library. I am going to do that this afternoon but I also want to kick off the NDMP backup to see if this resolves our issue. Is there a way/is it safe to start an NDMP backup process and then kill it once it's started. If I leave this run it will make a performance hit on our "home" drives and people will be complaining. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

A failed NDMP backup should not affect the NAS. I have failed backups periodically due to drive issues and don't see problems with ours. Killing it should be no different.

to kill the back up is it just a matter of doing a "q pr" to get the process # then issuing a "can pr #" to kill the process?

I am still realtively new to TSM and NDMP so any help would be very greatful on this.

Is is not a process, but a client session :). Issue a "q se" and then a "canc se".
After you've cancelled the session, the NDMP backup will end and be reported as failed (of course).

Back