Running 2 Clients on the same Machine

snowywar

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Is running two clients on the same Windows/AIX server possible and how do you setup the schedules?

CHEERS ALL

Hi!

You have to run only one client, and setup two scheduler with different dsm.opt files.

Hi,

cheers for that, I have got the windows 1 to work but really not sure about how to do the AIX systems. Does anybody know of a good user client install guide that we help me setup admin schedules in AIX?

cheers

Hi,

You can have as many clients and schedules as you want if you have different opt files. Set up all the stanzas in the dsm.sys, different opt files - then run in cron pointing to the optfile:

dsmc sched -optfile=<full path>

we use Managed schedules for dailies - and this method for archives, weeklies, etc

Hi Janecb,

thanks for the advice, however, when I run:-

dsmc sched -optfile=/usr/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsm_backup.sys

I get the following error:-

ANS1036S The option 'TCPSERVERADDRESS' or the value supplied for it is not valid. It was found in options file 'dsm_backup.sys'
at line number: 20
The complete entry: 'TCPServeraddress 10.50.52.240'
ANS1038S Invalid option specified

Heres what in the dsm_backup.sys:-

Servername TSM
TCPServeraddress 10.50.52.240
NODENAME ifss-unixfs1_backup
COMMMethod TCPip
TCPPort 1500
Passwordaccess generate
TCPBUFFSIZE 64
TCPWINDOWSIZE 128
MANAGEDServices schedule webclient

I can run *.opt and this just calls the standard normal dsm.sys file.

Sorry for not being an AIX guru but I cant really get my head around it.

thx in advance

Hi

You need to run the dsmc sched -optfile=/usr/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsm_backup.opt not sys.

Your first dsm.opt will point to a servername option in your dsm.sys. the second dsm.opt would point to another servername option in that same dsm.sys...

So your dsm.opt should look like

servername serverA

and your dsm.sys should look like

servername serverA
TCPserveraddress xxxxx
nodename xxxx
etc...

servername serverB
TCPserveraddress xxxxx
nodename xxxx
etc...

Hi Stephan,

thx for that but the issue is that I need to run two different nodes on the same client attaching to one/same TSM server.

I can see this servera/b working with two different tsm server but how can I get the

dsmc sched -optfile=/xxx/xxx/dsm_daily.opt

to call the following

dsm_daily.sys file????? rather than just dsm.opt

cheers again in advance

Hi Stephan,

thx for that but the issue is that I need to run two different nodes on the same client attaching to one/same TSM server.

I can see this servera/b working with two different tsm server but how can I get the

dsmc sched -optfile=/xxx/xxx/dsm_daily.opt

to call the following

dsm_daily.sys file????? rather than just dsm.opt

cheers again in advance

I guess i am not explaining it well...

You have two nodes that you need to run on the same server right? For example, a node for your server's OS and one for that same server's data?

Let's take an AIX server for example...

AIX Server name : Myserver
1st nodename : Node1 (OS backup)
2nd nodename : Node2 (data backup)
TSM server name : TSMSERVER

So, on TSM, create 2 nodes (Node1 and Node2)

On the AIX server, you install TSM client and within the /.../tsm/client/ba/bin folder you create a dsm.opt for each node...(dsm.myserverOS.opt and dsm.myserverDATA.opt)

Opt file dsm.myserverOS.opt contains the following:
Servername myserverOS

opt file dsm.myserverDATA.opt contains the following:
Servername myserverDATA

Now, within your dsm.sys, you will configured 2 stanzas, one for each node. By starting tsm with the -optfile option, you tell TSM to look at that OPT file and find the relevant information within the dsm.sys file...

So your dsm.sys file should look something like this:

Servername myserverOS (same name as within your dsm.node1.opt file)
nodename node1
commmethod tcp
tcpserveraddress tsmserver
and all other options you use...

Servername myserverDATA (same name as within your dsm.node2.opt file)
nodename node2
commmethod tcp
tcpserveraddress tsmserver
and all other options you use...

Now you start your schedulers (you should have 2) with the optfile option through the cron for example...

If you check your started TSM instances, you should see something like this:

# ps -ef | grep dsm
root 139476 1 0 Mar 26 - 0:00 /usr/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmcad
root 135572 1 0 Mar 26 - 2:56 /usr/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmc sched -optfile=/usr/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsm.node2.opt
root 209356 1 0 Mar 26 - 0:00 /usr/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmcad
root 217552 1 0 Mar 26 - 0:14 /usr/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmc sched -optfile=/usr/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsm.node2.opt

So, thecnically, you have 2 opt files (one per nodes) and 1 common dsm.sys file containing the relevant information for each opt files...

Steph

Last edited:
Hi Stephan,

I understand now that the dsm.opt servername option calls the servername option in the dsm.sys file and you can actually have multiple nodes/clients in the dsm.sys file!!

I presumed that you have to have one per client node.

1 last thing though can you have specify where the dsmsched log files go to in the dsm.sys and what is the prefix?

cheers again

hi,

found it it was errorlogname, in the dsm.sys

A big thx for all your help anyway!!

hi,

found it it was errorlogname, in the dsm.sys

A big thx for all your help anyway!!

Glad to hear it works for you now Snowywar. I usually have these 2 log config in my dsm.sys file:

SCHEDLOGName /var/tsm/dsmsched.log
ERRORLOGName /var/tsm/dsmerror.log

Steph

Back