Return codes calling TSM's API

Fattire

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
we have 2 linux clients that has DB2 backing up directly to TSM. The client part backs up fine, but the part that backs up to TSM using TSM's API is getting return codes of 406 and the other is getting return code of 400. they have backed up successfully but lately not.
0406 S DSM_RC_NO_OPT_FILE
Explanation: The options file specified by file-name cannot be found.
The Options file IS there though.

0400 E DSM_RC_INVALID_OPT
Explanation: An invalid option was found.
Nothing was changed that the user knows of.

Any ideas of what I can tell the user to look for would be appreciated. I'm not familiar with this way of backing up to TSM so forgive the ignorance.

Many thanks!!
Fattire

1) 406 - make sure your environment points to the correct DSM.OPT file for that db2user's profile (ie, not the OS DSM.OPT file).

check this by issuing the following as your db2user -

dsmc q filespace

if it returns the OS filesystem info - you are pointed at the wrong dsm.opt.
if it comes back with a line like "/db2sid" or "no filespaces associated" (as you have not yet gotten a good backup of the db) - then you are ok.

--this also assumes you have the info in the DSM.SYS file to match stanzas for your DB2 DSM.OPT file -
and that you have placed a copy of the DSM.SYS file - or linked a copy back to - your API dir.
if the 2 stanzas cannot match up, you can get a 406 error.

2) 400 - sounds like one of your options in the DSM.OPT file is not valid for DB2.
dsm.opt for DB2 should only have:

SErvername db2_node_name

Does that help any?
-Chef.

Last edited:
My dsm.opt looks right but still getting 400 error. Also when I try "dsmapipw"

I get: *** Environment setup failed: (400) Error in options string.

Are they related at all?

dsm.opt file

************************************************************************ * IBM Tivoli Storage Manager * * * * Sample Client User Options file for UNIX (dsm.opt.smp) * ************************************************************************ * This file contains an option you can use to specify the TSM * server to contact if more than one is defined in your client * system options file (dsm.sys). Copy dsm.opt.smp to dsm.opt. * If you enter a server name for the option below, remove the * leading asterisk (*). ************************************************************************ SErvername mytsm

Back