retrieving return codes from dsmc commands (unix client)

klee

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
http
I would like to perform DSMC archive/backup commands within a script on a unix client and somehow retrieve the resulting return code from the backup itself. Can anyone advise me on the best method to do this.

(For example I may want to close down an oracle database, perform a backup and bring the database back up if the backup return code is satisfactory.)

You should check out the scripting forum.

$? is used for Korn shell commands $status in C shell.

You might want to get a copy of "Unix Power Tools" or "Learning the Korn Shell" from O'Reilly. They probably have others titles for C shell and Bash.

cheers,

neil

klee - Have you even scripted before?? If we sent you something, would you be able to read it and understand that flow of the script?

Let us know your scripting comfort level. Perhaps if we understand what level you are at, perhaps each of us here in the forum can provide "training aides" to assist you.

If you can script, I do not mean to insult your intelligence but your initial question does lead to interpretation.

Steven

My apologies, I should have made my initial question a bit clearer. You have assumed correctly, I only have the basic unix skills (I'm actually a mainframe guy who's been given the task to roll out an enterprise backup strategy across mainframe/windows/unix platforms.). But we do have unix/oracle/db2 admin guys who are comfortable with scripting. I suppose what I'm really after is information that I can pass on to them on how to retrieve meaningful return code information from TSM (e.g from DSMC ARCHIVE commands) so that they can incorporate it into any scripts they may have to produce. If the return code is anything other than zero is it possible to extract information about the warning/error messages as part of the script or is it always a case of having to browse the error logs, etc.

Perhaps I'm jumping the gun a bit here. Maybe I should wait and let the admin/dba's to ask more relevant questions later on.

Back