Restoring one Cererra to another.

AlanDavenport

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
http
Hello,

I am new to using NDMP to back up devices and have a question. We have obtained an extra EMC Celerra device to practice recovering our production environment for disaster recovery. We have this unit for a month so this is rather urgent I resolve the issue.

What we would like to do is to restore a backup of the production environment to the other device. The problem I am running into is that when I fire up the GUI to do the restore I am unable to redirect the backup to any location other than the device where the backup originally occured. I am not allowed to type in the "other location" box. I am just presented with a drop-down menu of locations on the original Celerra.

can anyone offer any advice please?

Thank you,
Alan Davenport

I have an answer to this question I am sharing with the group. My problem was unique because in a DR environment I would have just been able to restore to the production clone NAS device. The senerio I was in was that I had two NAS devices and the production device was still live.

Here is what I did to restore production data to the testbed device.

Defined a node called NAS_TEST.
Defined a data mover called NAS_TEST and associated it to the node of the same name.
Defined tape paths using the device IDs on the testbed NAS.
Verified backup and recovery of the testbed NAS worked correctly.

Next, I CHANGED the NAS_TEST data mover to the IP address of the production data mover. I then performed a backup of a prodiction file space.
I then changed the TEST_NAS datamover's IP address BACK to the test environment. I was then able to restore the backup taken in the previous step to the testbed NAS.

The cool thing about this method was that ZERO changes needed to be made to any production configurations and thus had a minimum of risk.

Al

Back