Restoring Individual Active Directory Objects

ianmitchell

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi
I would like to know what backup options are available to me if required to restore individual active directory objects.

Reading the documentation it suggests that it is supported in version 6 clients but I am assuming only if running a v6 server instance?

Does Fastback offer the same functionality and what is the overhead for setting this up? – a link to documentation on how to do this would be great.

Is restoring the system state then running ntdsutil a reliable alternative when running a 5.5 server?

Many thanks

Ian

Thanks for the response. The document is very useful but has also brought up a couple of further questions.
It states:
"Windows 2008 Server is the only platform supported for restoring AD objects from a Tivoli Storage Manager system state backup.
Does this mean that tombstone objects can still be restored on a w2k3 box? Having performed a backup of the node I can see the individual tombstone objects within the client restore.
“The entire Active Directory database (ntds.dit) must be restored (this will require additional disk space).”
When performing a restore of any object is the whole database restored to the path defined by the Stagingdir parameter then the individual objects restored form there?

Is anyone using or aware of software which offers an individual object restore feature for AD on a windows 2003 server?

Back