restoring from export

florianmulatz

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just a really stupid question.
I have to restore some really old data from a yearly export from 2013 for audit purposes.
I've to restore some complete nodes which are actually still exists!

Let's say my node I want to restore is named as filer01. This node still exists. So how to restore correctly the "old dataset" from filer01. I read one post around the www where a guy told to rename the existing node - restore - and rename both then. Is this the right way ?

Or is there any "mechanism" which detect's that there is already a node with the same name existing and tsm-server renames it by itself or something like that?

Sorry when my enlgish is not the very best - I'm Austrian :)

BR & thanks for every help!

Renaming nodes seemed the safest and is the way I've done it in the past (probably found the same website as you did). Unless your IMPORT NODE command will take >24 hours to complete (and therefore affect your current filer01 scheduled backups) it should be ok.
As an alternative you could look at using MERGEfilespaces=NO (the default) which should import the data into different filespaces for your existing filer01 node.
But if this is just a temporary import for the purposes of an audit and you will delete the data afterwards then having a different node name would be easier to manage in my opinion.

Hey,

thx for your answer. Ok I also think in this case renaming the nodes will be the easiest.
thx in advance!

BR

It would also be a good idea to disable expiration while you do this. If you have data older than your retention and expiration runs, your imported data will expire.

Hey thx for the hint! But from my Point of understanding - the Client itself sends the expiry command or? So I have to disable the Client itself meanwhile?

For deleted files yes or new versions yes, but not for age. So if you keep 5 versions, 60 days, and you import data that is 1 year old, the inactive versions will expire, but not the active. So if you are interested in restoring the latest version from the import, it's likely active, therefore will not expire.

The way I'd do this is:
- stop the TSM Scheduler on the client
- rename the node
- disable expiration
- import the node
- do your restores
- delete the imported filespace
- delete the imported node
- re-enable expiration
- rename the node back to its original name
- restart the scheduler

just a last stupid question - I'm a littlebit confused about that.
When I do a restore - do I have to _only_ rename the node or also the filespaces?!

Only the node. The filespaces belong to the node, so when you rename the node, the existing filespaces follow the new nodename. That's because internally, the filespaces_IDs are tied in with the node_IDs. The names are just for us mortals, TSM uses numbers internally.

Back