Restoring from backupset volumes not in sequence?

jambraun

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
This question is in a few parts. We generate our backupsets to a filedevice instead of tape; volume size is set to 100MB per. The filespaces that we generate these backupsets from are many, many gigabytes in size which cause the creation of 100+ volumes per backupset. As a test, I attempted to restore data on to a disk from one of these backupsets and wouldn't you know it, after the first 100MB of data has been recovered I'm prompted for the "next volume" in sequence. Of course, I can choose the next volume and it will continue on its merry way but after that 100MB has been recovered it prompts again for the next one...and the next one...and so forth.

The command I use to generate the backupsets is the following:

generate backupset jambraun jambraun_complete * devclass=filedev3 volumes=jambraun

What I get is a single 100MB volume called "jambraun", which is then proceded by many, many other volumes that skip in sequence by 5 (i.e. 38211532.ost, 38211537.ost, 38211542.ost...)

This would be acceptable if TSM understood that the next largest number was the continuing volume but that is not the case, unless I am using an incorrect restore command. At least for windows, I did this using the GUI, and the above is what happened.

Also, if anyone else is using File Devices, is it possible to break the 99MB max volume size? If it allows you to make the max volume size say 100GB then that would be ideal.

Hi,

yes, you can update your file devclass to use bigger volumes:

UPD DEVCL filedev3 MAXCAP=100G

But you should use this devclass only for backupsets, otherwise it can do mess in your storage if you were used to using 100MB volumes...

Hope it helps.

Back