restore win files on linux machine

ordan

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
http
Hello,

I cannot find it if is it possible restore win files on Linux file systems?

I am using win and Linux version of BA 5.3 and server is 5.2.2 version on Linux.

I receive error msg: "ANS1357S Session rejected: Downlevel client code version"

Sorry 4 my English

fillip hasa

While cross platform restores are not allowed, you can fake out TSM if you REALLY want to.

You could share your linux filesystem via SMB to a windows server and then perform the restore on the Windows server to the SMB mounted filesystem.

Personally, I would just restore the files to a windows server and then move them to the linux server, but anything can be done if you want it enough.

-Aaron

Drat :sad: I was afraid cross platform restores would be unsupported.

What about faking in the opposite direction?

I need to retrieve a file from an old archive of a decommissioned AIX client. Unfortunately, the only AIX box still existing in the organisation is the TSM server itself (AIX 4.3.3 TSM 5.1).

I've tried a W2K client masquerading with the old AIX node name but, unsurprisingly, without success. It connects and the GUI can browse folders but it reports that there are no actual files in the archive. So does a command line retrieve.

Do I really need to rebuild the AIX client? Or would a Linux client be close enough?

Go into the dsm.sys file for the TSM client (running on the TSM server) and set nodename to be whatever client you want to restore from. You can then restore the files needed and set the node name back when you're done.

You can also do cross client permissions (let the client on the TSM server access the files from the client you wish to restore) but I find just telling the TSM server that you ARE that client seems to work better.

I don't think you can restore AIX files to a Linux system as there are differences in filesystem layout (unless you're using JFS on Linux) and you still may run into the big endian vs little endian problems. I've never tried it.....so it *might* work.

-Aaron

stilton13,

You can use a Linux client or any other client from the unix family (Solaris, HP-UX) to restore files originally backed up by AIX. Generally, you can use any unix client to restore data backed up by another unix client. As Aaraon explained, you either need to set up the same node name or use There should be no big/little endian confilicts as all TSM clients and servers use a single (network) format for metadata.

It is not possible, though, to restore unix data to a Windows client or vice versa. This is a strict limitation and I don't know of any ways to circumvent it.

Alexei

Back