Restore Systemstate to different location or different hardware

Makwetu

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi....:mad:

I have a customer running with IBM hardware. They want to recover the Windows systemstate (Win 2003 and TSM V5.3) to a different location on HP hardware.
Is this concept supported??
Has anyone ever tried it??

Well, the System State contains the registry and boot files...

According to what I see on this page -
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...ocs/en-us/ntbackup_system_state.mspx?mfr=true
However, you can restore the System State data to an alternate location.

They say it is possible...but continue with:
If you do this, only the registry files, SYSVOL directory files, Cluster database information files, and system boot files are restored to the alternate location. The Active Directory directory services database, Certificate Services database, and COM+ Class Registration database are not restored if you designate an alternate location when you restore the System State data.

If you click on the "Restore System State data" tab on the left in the link window, you will get more info.
I know it doesn't say *exactly* how to do it, but hope that helps.
-Chef.

Last edited:
you will be able to restore the system state, but the disk controler change beetween a IBM a HP box,
so i don't think it will boot properly

TSM will allow you to restore the system state but from there it's up to you to get the system to to work. Usually you run into boot problems. We had this issue when we tried to restore IBM systems to Dell hardware at Sungard when I was with IBM. It took hours to figure out how to get the Dells to boot and that was after they had identified IBM software that was hanging the server on boot up looking for IBM hardware.

There is also a application (recently purchased by EMC) called Universal Recovery Manager (URM) that will allow you to perform bare metal restores between different hardware (I tested it with HP, IBM and Dell)

-Aaron

Back