Restore System Objects to Win2K server

jade

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I am working on testing a restore of a Win2K server. I read in the Redbook that the System Objects will only restore to the original location. I noted: "Tivoli Storage Manager 4.1.2 cannot restore system objects to locations other than their original locations."

I am running TSM server 5.1 and client 5.1.5:

1) Can I restore System Objects with these versions to different locations?

2) If the restore only goes to the original location is the path hardcoded? example: \winnt\......... or \%systemroot%\ ?

I have two boot directories \winnt and \winback. To test the recovery process I

booted off \winnt, did a backup of the the systemobjects and archived the data. I set the default boot to winback and rebooted. The system came up on winback. I installed the TSM client and then blew away files in \winnt. Then I started the restore process. First I retrieved the archived data, then I restored the system objects. Then I rebooted the server. The server would not reboot. I cannot startup the system on either winback or winnt. Can anyone give me some advise? Thanks in advance!

Jackie

Toss the Redbook. I was using the redbook and it is a little flaky. I have been working on the same issue for about a week now and when doing it the way the redbook said I bombed everytime. This what I did and it seems solid after several test backups and restores.

1. Backup your system making sure you are backing up the system objects (registry). Make sure that the last line of your dsm.opt file is as follows:

INCLUDE "?:\assm.sys\...\*"

The above line makes sure that TSMs copy of the registry is backed up.

2. Blow away your system or just reinstall Win2K making sure you put the bare bones OS in the default WINNT directory.

3. Bring up your bare bones OS and verify that your drive letters did not get swapped by Win2K if you are runnung multiple drives and drive partitions.

4. Load your network cards driver and configure your IP properties. Verify you have connectivity to your TSM server.

5. Load the TSM client and just run through the client configuration wizard. You do not need to configure the scheduler or web component.

6. Do a file level restore to their original location. Overwrite all files if asked. Reboot the machine when told a reboot is required do it.

7. When the machine comes back after the reboot then do a restore of your system objects. Again overwrite all files if asked. Again reboot the machine when told a reboot is required.

8. After reboot your maching should be back to normal. If your machine was a member of a domain you will need to remove it from the domain and then put it back in to sync up any SIDs or file linkages.

The only problem I had was on a desktop server where I had to reapply the video drivers and sound drivers after I was finished. The drivers were there but had to be reapplied through device manager.

Back