Restore physical server to vmware?

Masonit

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi!

Has anyone tried restoring a psychical win2k3 server to a VM?

\Masonit

Hi
I did it using Cristie (using disimilar hardware recovery) without problems.
Efim

Never try but i know Vmware have a tool that convert physical to virtual. Restore your server in a vm a run the software from vmware... this might work!

Never try but i know Vmware have a tool that convert physical to virtual. Restore your server in a vm a run the software from vmware... this might work!

I'm currently working on a document addressing this exact issue. Its not finished yet but I'll gladly share it and please provide all the feedback you can.

Attachments

• NKU Bare Metal Restore from Tivoli using ASR for Windows Servers.doc
    334.5 KB · Views: 157
Restore to VMWARE

I have done this several times in a DR test scenario sucessfuly and use the following method

(1) Use the TSM BMR guide to restore the machine ( C, System state, system services etc)
(2) Shutdown the VM
(2) Use vmware convertor to configure the machine (i.e- install vmware tools and necessary drivers

Yesterday I restored a pshysical server to VM.

1: Created a VM and installed win2k3 and nessesary patches from MS.
2: Restored the physical servers data on the VM as you normally restore a server.
3: Reboot and everything worked fine! Only problem I've seen is that the server still "remembers" its old nic's. Just deleted them in the registry and it's was ok. :up:

\Masonit

I use the BartPE CD with TSM client to restore the image of system driver and the script which updates the SCSI drivers for restored VM.

Back