Restore of expired media (DB Restore)

Antnee

Newcomer
Reaction score
We have a small TSM environment consisting of a single Windows server for VMware VCB back ups.

We have completed some monthly back ups however these were not set to the correct retention period and therefore have expired. The time has come to restore a file from this expired set.

The tapes have not been overwritten, so I believe we just need to restore an older DB back up closer to the time of the back up to be able to see the file and restore.

However the issue is we cannot seem to be able to restore the database back up. The back up with have is a file/disk back up (not tape) in a .dbb format.

We have a limited skillset in terms of using Tivoli and would really appreciate some help on exactly how to do this.

I have tried the command "dsmserv restore db" which is not recognised although "help dsmserv restore db" is recognised, extremely frustrating. Have also tried "todate=xx/xx/xx totime=xx:xx:xx" to no avail. I have no idea how to point the restore to a particular .dbb file or the syntax used to get this command to run.

Many thanks in advance.

Something along the lines of:

dsmserv restoredb devclass=[file class name] volume=file:[filename.dbb] commit=yes

replace bracketed items [] with correct values.

You have to shut down the tsm server in order to restore its database. Either set up a second instance of the TSM server to do the restore (this would be best) or make sure that you have a full db backup to restore the original server, and that no clients back up files during the change-over.

Many thanks for your help guys.

I managed to get the above command to work this time around and it restored the old database. However encounted an issue with messages advising the admin password was incorrect and needed changing.

On changing the password, the next message advised me that a connection to the server could not be established. No way to change the password.

I have restored the latest database back to bring the envirionment back up to normal.

Not sure how to get passed this password issue to even check the status of Tivoli after the restore.....

Since you just want this long enough to restore an old set of files, I wouldn't even worry about this -- just bring dsmserv up in interactive mode. Kill any instances of dsmserv that's running in the background, CD to the server directory in a command window and type in 'dsmserv' (or 'dsmserv.exe' if you're running on Windows). You bypass needing the admin password.

Note that if the client option 'password generate' is set, you may have to reset the client password at both ends so that VCB can connect.

Many thanks again for your help. I will give this a try tomorrow morning as the back up is due to start soon. (I'm in the UK).

Many thanks again for all your help. Managed to get it working and restored the file.

Back